Senior Librarian- 4 positions
Gig Harbor, Parkland/Spanaway, South Hill, and University Place Libraries
Pierce County Library System
Pierce County Library System is looking for an experienced and energetic leader to be responsible for leading a team of staff at one of the library locations listed above. This leader will be essential to providing quality customer service and leading and directing staff in supporting customer service standards in all aspects of library service while serving their diverse people of all ages within the community. This leader will also be aligning programs and activities in support of the Library’s strategic plan, mission, and goals, coordinating and facilitating the daily operations of your branch in partnership with support departments and other branches. Our Senior Librarians are also expected to coach and ensure staff is skilled to identify community needs and work to attend to these needs through Library services, guide collection materials efforts in partnership with other departments.
Pierce County Library System offers a compensation program which recognizes qualifications and experience relevant to each position. The starting pay is established typically within the hiring range below based upon the experience of the individual hired into the role. Our compensation package also includes annual increases for each additional year of experience and tenure in the role, up to the maximum (current year maximum outlined in pay grade range below). Eligibility for overtime is exclusive to positions which are FLSA status non-exempt below.
Hiring Range: $71,559.90- 82,953.82 annually
Pay Grade Range: $71,559.90– $99,047.21 annually
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Status: Regular
Hours Per Week: 40
University Place Schedule: Monday- 10:10am-7:10pm Tuesday- 9am-6pm Wednesday- 9am-6pm Thursday- 9am-6pm Friday- 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday- Off. Schedule is subject to change.
South Hill Schedule: Monday- 9am-6pm Tuesday- 9am-6pm Wednesday- 9am-6pm Thursday- 10:10am-7:10pm Friday- 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday- OFF. Schedule is subject to change.
Gig Harbor Schedule: Monday- 10:05am-7:05pm Tuesday- 9am-6pm Wednesday- 9am-6pm Thursday- 9am-6pm Friday- 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday- OFF. Schedule is subject to change.
Parkland/Spanaway Schedule: Monday- 9am-6pm Tuesday- 9am-6 pm Wednesday- 9am-6pm Thursday- 10:15am-7:15pm Friday- 9-6pm Saturday and Sunday- OFF. Schedule is subject to change.
Union Status: Represented
Candidate Submission Timelines:
TRANSFER Candidates: transfer eligible candidates internal to PCLS will be given first consideration for this position through the Transfer Closure date. Please review the StaffWeb Transfer Process Overview.
EXTERNAL OR NON-Transfer INTERNAL Candidates: To be considered for this position please submit your resume and up to 4 additional attachments to display your knowledge, skills and abilities for consideration for this position no later than 5:00 p.m. on closing date below.
Submissions after the Closure Date below will not be considered:
- Transfer Closure Date: June 27th , 5pm
- External or Non-Transfer Internal Candidates Closure Date: July 11th, 5pm
Responsible for leading a team of staff to provide quality customer service to diverse people of all ages within assigned communities for the Pierce County Library System; responsible for aligning programs and activities that supports the Library’s strategic plan; coordinates and facilitates the daily operations of an assigned location for the Pierce County Library System in partnership with support departments and other branches. Leads and directs customer service standards for all aspects of library service; coaches and ensures staff is skilled to identify community needs and work to attend to these needs through Library services; guides collection materials efforts in partnership with other departments; provides leadership to advance relationships; and performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Acts as the library’s principle representative at the assigned location for all service functions; serves as a liaison between employees and support departments/administrative personnel.
- Ensures delivery of high-quality, customer-focused services to both internal and external customers and is responsible to ensure team achieves service goals and customer service standards.
- Provides instruction and assistance to customers in the use of the Library’s equipment and software; enacts technology trouble-shooting and ensures staff are trained to assist with technology issues.
- Hires, trains supervises, coaches, engages, develops, disciplines and evaluates the performance of personnel; ensures staff compliance with Library and departmental policies, procedures and services standards and assists management in forming and communicating those policies as they relate to the assigned location.
- Oversees the maintenance and development of branch library collections; ensures collection materials appropriately meet the need of branch customers; coordinates with collection services personnel.
- Prepares and maintains employee schedules; contacts and schedules substitute personnel to ensure appropriate levels of staff coverage; reviews and signs employee timecards.
- Participates in, and may lead, system-wide projects and committees.
- Promotes and educates the public regarding the Library’s services, programs and materials.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with the community groups, outside agencies and local government. Represents the Library within the local community, government and Friends group as well as directs and facilitates other staff members engagement in the community. Acts as the primary PCLS liaison and representative to assist Friends members.
- Partners with support departments as appropriate to meet the needs of customers, staff and the Library; serves on committees as assigned.
- Acts as person in charge.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library System’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Supervises assigned personnel
Core Skills & Qualities / Leadership Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity
Leaders are expected to demonstrate the following competencies at all times:
- Builds Trustworthy Relationships
- Communicates Effectively
- Builds Successful Teams
- Manages and Develops People
- Achieves Results
- Facilitates Innovation and Change
- Demonstrates Leadership
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) required, and
- At least three years of progressively more responsible public library work, OR
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
- Ability to obtain State of Washington Librarian Certification is required.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass criminal background screening prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect to a device and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Experience with time and attendance systems or processes
- Ability to collect, audit, analyze data sufficient to formulate recommendations and make decisions as required by position
- Experience in ebook/e-collection management and use
- Experience with Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system
- Ability to document instruction, troubleshoot, and teach basic level MS Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities
- Troubleshoot and teach basic level questions regarding the above
- Presentation software
- Work order systems
- HR systems
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. When delivering service outside of PCLS locations, weather and physical conditions will vary and work will adhere to additional PCLS safety protocols. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other library materials up to 35 pounds may be required. Subject to sitting and standing for extended periods of time, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting objects weighing up to 30-35 pounds. May lift or push up to 50 pounds as needed with assistance.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Work may be performed in a library environment and involve regular contact with the public, and/or require push/pull loaded carts.
This position is located at 3005 112th Street East, Tacoma, WA. View the Google Map in full screen.