Senior Library Technician - Collection Mgmt
Senior Library Technician - Collection Mgmt
Pierce County Library System
Pierce County Library System offers a compensation program which recognizes qualifications and experience relevant to each position. The starting pay is established typically within the hiring range below based upon the experience of the individual hired into the role. Our compensation package also includes annual increases for each additional year of experience and tenure in the role, up to the maximum (current year maximum outlined in pay grade range below). Eligibility for overtime is exclusive to positions which are FLSA status non-exempt below.
Hiring Range: $19.38 - $22.47 per hour
Pay Grade Range: $19.38 – $26.04 per hour
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-exempt
Position Status: Regular
Hours Per Week: 40
Schedule: M-F 8am-5pm. Schedule is subject to change.
Union Status: Represented
Closing Date: 5:00 p.m. on October 22, 2021
Requirements to be considered for this position: Please submit your resume and up to 4 additional attachments to display your knowledge, skills and abilities for consideration for this position no later than 5:00 p.m. on closing date (above). Submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Coordinates and performs a variety of technical and clerical library duties in support of assigned departmental operations; prepares correspondence and reports; performs routine circulation and collection maintenance functions; assists with coordinating library programming; responds to inquiries and provides customer service to the public; and performs other related duties relative to area of assignment.
This class differs from the lower level classification of Library Technician by the level of complexity and diversity of tasks performed.
Reports to assigned Supervisor depending on work department; no supervisory responsibility is exercised.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services
- Staffs the Reception Desk; answers and directs incoming calls, as assigned.
- Responds to customer inquiries and provides customer service in person and via telephone/email.
- Schedules and coordinates the use of meeting rooms.
- Compiles and analyzes data; prepares, proofreads, edits, and maintains various types of correspondence, reports, schedules, and other documentation relative to area of assignment.
- Performs data entry and a variety of general clerical duties including photocopying, faxing documents, and processing and distributing departmental mail.
- Maintains a variety of department databases, lists, and calendars.
- May create and/or maintain department web pages for the staff and public websites.
- Participates in routine circulation duties including checking library materials in and out, placing holds, issuing library cards, and updates and maintains customer records as required.
- Unpacks, sorts, and distributes delivery materials; processes Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests; tracks overdue and/or lost library materials; prepares overdue notices, relative to area of assignment.
- Assists in the maintenance of assigned library collections; reviews and invoices customers for damaged materials.
- Provides assistance with coordinating library programming for area of assignment; prepares program mailings; distributes program materials to Librarians, library branches, schools, and outside agencies; updates and maintains program statistics.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Public library operations, programs, and services.
- Circulation processes and procedures.
- Automated library systems and software.
- General office equipment, computers and Windows-based software. .
- Customer service standards and protocols.
Required Skill in:
- Performing and coordinating a variety technical and administrative library functions.
- Providing for the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused library services to customers.
- Responding to inquiries and providing customer service to the public.
- Conducting routine circulation, cataloging, and collection maintenance duties.
- Preparing correspondence, reports, and other documentation.
- Using internet/web resources to provide information services to the public.
- Performing specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
- Associate’s Degree in a related field, and
- Two years public library experience; OR
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in a library environment.
- Subject to sitting, standing for extended periods of time, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and carry library materials and push/pull loaded carts.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction
This position is located at 3005 112th Street East, Tacoma, WA. View the Google Map in full screen.