Facilities and Custodial Maintenance
Pierce County Library System
Pierce County Library System offers a compensation program which recognizes qualifications and experience relevant to each position. The starting pay is established typically within the hiring range below based upon the experience of the individual hired into the role. Eligibility for overtime is exclusive to positions which are FLSA status non-exempt below.
Hiring Range: $19.14 – $22.19 per hour
Pay Grade Range: $19.14 – $26.50 per hour
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-exempt
Position Status: Substitute
Authorized Hours: PCLS Custodians work 7 days a week between 7:00 am-3:30 pm
Substitutes are used to fill-in on a limited basis when regular employees are not available for work and may occasionally be brought in for special projects. Substitute positions have no guaranteed hours and are limited to working a maximum of sixty-five (65) hours total per month (no more than 40 hours in one week).
Location: All PCLS Libraries and Administrative Center
Union Status: Non- Represented
Candidate Submission Timelines:
- Closure Date: Friday May 26th, 5pm
Performs a variety of routine custodial functions for the Pierce County Library System; cleans and maintains assigned buildings, facilities, and/or office areas; and performs other related duties as assigned
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services.
- Disinfects, cleans, and maintains restroom facilities including toilets, urinals, sanitary containers, sinks, doors, mirrors, and fixtures; restocks paper products.
- Cleans library, offices, work areas, meeting rooms, study rooms, coffee bars, and/or the staff lunch room.
- Sanitizes drinking fountains, kitchen sinks, counter tops, microwaves, table tops, and desks.
- Vacuums, sweeps, mops, and cleans hard surface floors; spot cleans carpets.
- Dusts fixtures, furniture, and other hard surface areas.
- Cleans internal and external building windows.
- Empties trash cans and recycling bins; disposes of trash in outside holding bins.
- May set-up and take down meeting rooms.
- May assist with routine building maintenance tasks including changing light bulbs, cleaning exterior building areas, and monitoring parking lots.
- Demonstrates punctuality.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff. • Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
Reports to the Custodial Supervisor; no supervisory responsibility is exercised.
Core Skills & Qualities / Leadership Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
High School Diploma or equivalent, and six months custodial experience; OR any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass criminal background screening prior to hire.
- Must be available to work on and an “on-call” basis and be able to work a variety of schedules on short notice including evenings and weekends.
- Custodial functions and custodial principles.
- Regulations and standards governing custodial activities.
- Custodial equipment and cleaning chemicals.
- Occupational hazards and safety practices relative to custodial work.
- Customer service standards and protocols.
- Performing a variety of routine custodial functions.
- Ensuring the Library’s facilities are appropriately cleaned and maintained.
- Completing work orders in a timely manner and in accordance with departmental standards.
- Safely operating custodial equipment and handling cleaning chemicals.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Understand and follow basic technical instruction
- Basic MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system experience
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other library materials up to 35 pounds may be required. Subject to sitting and standing for extended periods of time, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting objects weighing up to 30-35 pounds. May lift or push up to 50 pounds as needed with assistance.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Work may be performed in a library environment and involve regular contact with the public, and/or require push/pull loaded carts. Work is performed in and around the Library facilities and involves exposure to cleaning chemicals, hazardous materials, bodily fluids, and infectious diseases.
This position is located at 3005 112th Street East, Tacoma, WA. View the Google Map in full screen.