Customer Experience Assistant
Customer Experience Assistant
Pierce County Library System
Hiring Range: $22.86 – $26.50 per hour; Pay Grade Range: $22.86 – $31.64 per hour
Pierce County Library System offers a compensation program which recognizes qualifications and experience relevant to each position. The starting pay is established typically within the hiring range below based upon the experience of the individual hired into the role. Our compensation package also includes annual increases for each additional year of experience and tenure in the role, up to the maximum (current year maximum outlined in pay grade range above). Eligibility for overtime is exclusive to positions which are FLSA status non-exempt below.
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-exempt
Position Status: Regular
Hours Per Week: 36
Sun: 12:10-5:10 (5); Mon: 11:40-7:10 (7); Tues: OFF; Wed: OFF; Thurs: 9:40-6:10 (8); Fri: 9:40-6:10 (8); Sat: 8:40-5:10 (8)
Schedule subject to change.
Union Status: Represented
Candidate Submission Timelines:
TRANSFER Candidates: transfer eligible candidates internal to PCLS will be given first consideration for this position through the Transfer Closure date. Please review the StaffWeb Transfer Process Overview.
EXTERNAL OR NON-Transfer INTERNAL Candidates: To be considered for this position please submit your resume and up to 4 additional attachments to display your knowledge, skills and abilities for consideration for this position no later than 5:00 p.m. on closing date below.
Submissions after the Closure Date below will not be considered:
- UPDATED Transfer Closure Date: Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 5:00pm
- External or Non-Transfer Internal Candidates Closure Date: Monday, March 27, 2023 at 5:00pm
Veteran Status: Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should select the percentage that they qualify for, 5% or 10% during the application. More information about veteran’s preference, such as the difference in percentage can be found here and here. If you need more information please contact us at:HR@pcls.us
Provides high quality customer service for diverse customers of all ages at assigned library location(s). Assists customers in gaining access to a wide variety of services, including, but not limited to, library accounts, public technology assistance, and readers’ advisory services. This position supports the library in providing direct customer service to all library customers.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employee in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services to diverse customers of all ages.
- Works with customers in person, by telephone, and digitally.
- Communicates and applies the Library’s policies and procedures, addresses and assists in resolving customer concerns, incidents, and complaints.
- Performs routine circulation and customer account management duties (e.g. check in/out materials, shelving, process holds, library card registration, cash handling, and account inquiries).
- Provides basic reference and readers’ advisory assistance in person, online and other various formats.
- Provides hardware and software support for customer-accessed technologies, instructs and trouble-shoots customers’ access to databases and electronic collections.
- Provides assistance to customers to locate library materials in the building and online, promotes library services.
- Processes, sorts, and shelves library materials as necessary; maintains periodicals.
- Prepares and maintains displays; updates bulletin boards, posters, and flyers.
- Counts and balances deposits and prepares weekly financial reports.
- Acts as Person In Charge, as delegated or scheduled.
- Assists with program support as directed by a Supervisor or Librarian.
- Participates on project teams and committees, as appropriate and within the scope of the position summary and essential functions.
- Routinely provides customer feedback to supervisors to ensure the customer’s voice and perspective is received and reviewed.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Reports to a Customer Experience Supervisor. May direct the work of additional staff and Volunteers, under the direction of a supervisor. Will act as Person in Charge as delegated or scheduled.
Core Skills & Qualities / Leadership Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving
- Change and Learning
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Integrity
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
Minimum Requirements including Education, License or Certifications:
- Associate’s Degree in a related field, and
- Two years public library/customer service experience; OR
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass criminal background screening prior to hire.
- May be assigned to work at multiple locations. The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes.
- Ability to effectively navigate basic electronic record creation and storage (e.g. timecard/HRIS, performance review, network drive storage)
- Use of basic office equipment (e.g. PC, printer, copier, phone, fax, mouse, security alarm)
- Basic keyboard and alpha/numeric data entry skills
- Basic PC navigation skills in a windows based environment; ability to connect and print
- Ability to navigate, search and use basic web functions and applications
- Intermediate MS Office Suite skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities – All other roles
- Specialized equipment or software skills sufficient to satisfactorily complete job responsibilities (e.g. HRIS)
- Integrated Library System, Inventory or Data Management system experience
- Ability to successfully complete Basic MOS Certification or Course
- Digital media, digital collections and ebooks knowledge
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is conducted in a normal office setting or library environment that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions and/or regular contact with public. When delivering service outside of PCLS locations, weather, physical, and environmental conditions will vary and work will adhere to additional PCLS safety protocols. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other library materials up to 35 pounds may be required. Subject to sitting and standing for extended periods of time, talking, bending, reaching, and lifting objects weighing up to 30-35 pounds. May lift or push up to 50 pounds as needed. Must be able to lift and carry library materials and push/pull loaded carts.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Work may be performed in a library environment and involve regular contact with the public, and/or require push/pull loaded carts.
The above position description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program.
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
This position is located at 1116 Fryar Ave., Sumner, WA. View the Google Map in full screen.