Term of positions is 20 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
Gunnison Ranger District, 216 N. Colorado Street, Gunnison, CO 81230
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,626.27 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 3/3/2024
Title of Position:
Stewards Individual Placements (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. Stewards in partnership with the partnership with the United States Forest Service, is seeking a Recreation Steward who will help with the conservation, management and maintenance of these high use areas of the Gunnison Ranger District.
The Recreation Steward will participate in a variety of activities focused on Crested Butte, Taylor Park, Lake City, Gunnison, and surrounding areas, which lie within the GMUG National Forests. Recreation crew members will complete their onboarding and training in late May and begin assisting Forest Service Staff with full time patrol coverage in the Gunnison Ranger District.
The following are duties and activities that the member will participate in during the summer field season:
· - Make visitor contacts at high use recreation areas throughout the Gunnison Ranger District.
- Maintain and clean campgrounds, designated camping areas, vault toilets, trailheads, and other recreation facilities.
- Perform hazard tree assessments and assist with hazard tree mitigation at recreation sites.
- Assist with developed campground condition assessments.
- Share conservation messages with our local communities and visitors at community events.
- Educate visitors about recreational opportunities within the Gunnison Ranger District.
- Participate in volunteer programs and partner activities.
- Conduct educational patrols in designated and dispersed recreation areas on motorized and non-motorized routes.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with volunteers, partners, and concessionaires.
- Implement the Gunnison Travel Management Plan by restoring non-system routes, installing, and maintaining gates/signs, and educating visitors about travel restrictions.
- Develop interpretive programs to share with the visiting public in busy areas and provide information.
Position Responsibilities will include:
· Patrol District Roads and Trails and ensure that use is in accordance with recreation plans and regulations. This includes:
o Make visitor contacts, track and log illegal campsites, and educate visitors about travel restrictions at high use recreation areas.
o Offer a friendly, professional presence while providing recreation information, trail information and general information about visitor services available in the Gunnison area.
o Operate four-wheel drive vehicles on Forest Service Roads in remote environments.
· Assist supervisor with maintenance and cleaning at developed campgrounds, designated camping sites and dispersed camping areas. This includes:
o Perform condition assessments at district recreation sites and facilities.
o Paint, refinish and/or replace signs, picnic tables, fire rings and other miscellaneous structures.
o Clean, restock and log condition reports for vault toilets at recreation sites.
o Build and maintain good working relationships with volunteers, partners, and concessionaires.
· Perform hazard tree assessments and assist supervisor with hazard tree mitigation at campgrounds, district facilities and designated campsites. This includes:
o Locate hazard trees and GPS coordinates, take photos, log data and flag hazards for removal.
o Guard roads, trails, and/or campsites and educate visitors during hazard tree mitigation operations.
o Assist with the removal of slash and logs during hazard tree removal operations.
- Interest in Recreation Management and opportunities with the US Forest Service.
- Self-motivated, outgoing and hardworking individuals, able to identify opportunities and build and maintain relationships.
- Valid Driver’s License for at least three years and clean driving record (able to pass a MVR check)
- Experience with backcountry travel and camping for extended periods
- ATV/ Off Road Vehicle Experience
- Trail work experience
- Manual labor experience
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $ 2,626.27 (pre-tax).
- Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax)
- On-the-job training
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Please contact Alex Whittow, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please submit your application by March 3, 2024 to ensure full consideration.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Gunnison, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.