Wilderness Ranger Steward
Term of position is 16 to 20 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk (length will be determined when position is offered)
Gunnison Ranger District, 216 N. Colorado Street, Gunnison, CO 81230
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,626.27 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 3/3/2024
Title of Position:
Wilderness Ranger Steward
Stewards Individual Placements (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. Stewards in partnership with the partnership with the United States Forest Service, is seeking a Wilderness Ranger Steward who will help with the conservation, management and maintenance of these high use areas of the Gunnison Ranger District.
The Wilderness Ranger Stewards will participate in a variety of activities focused on our Wilderness areas and surrounding areas, which lie within the -Gunnison National Forests. The following are duties and activities that the member(s) will participate in during the summer field season:
- Make visitor contacts in our Wilderness areas.
- Maintain Wilderness Trails and Signs.
- Clear trees off trails with handsaw (including crosscut saw) and axe. Trees range from small to large.
- Install posts in Wilderness with handtools.
- Perform overnight backpacking patrols in remote and rugged Wilderness areas.
- Share Wilderness stewardship messages with our local communities and visitors at community events.
- Educate visitors about Wilderness ethics as well as rules and regulations.
- Conduct educational patrols in designated Wilderness areas.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with volunteers, partners, and outfitters and guides.
- Develop interpretive programs to share with the visiting public in busy areas.
Position Responsibilities will include:
Patrol District Wilderness areas and Trails and ensure that use is in accordance with area regulations and trails/signs are in suitable condition.
· Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Make visitor contacts and educate visitors about leave no trace and wilderness ethics.
· Offer a friendly, professional presence while providing wilderness information, trail information and general information about visitor services available in the Gunnison area.
· Hiking and backpacking overnight in remote areas and over rugged terrain with loads of up to 45 ponds. Operate four-wheel drive vehicles on Forest Service Roads in remote environments.
· Ability to lift heavy trees off trails.
- Ability to hike and backpack on rugged and remote trails/areas.
- Ability to carry heavy loads up to 45 pounds
- Ability to camp overnight in remote wilderness areas.
- Valid Driver’s License for at least three years and clean driving record (able to pass a MVR check)
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $ 2,626.27 (pre-tax).
- Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax)
- On-the-job training
- Housing available: one spot in a bunkhouse, sharing room with the same gender.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Please contact Alex Whittow, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions on the application process.
Please submit your application by March 3, 2024 to ensure full consideration.
If you have questions about the position details or responsibilities, please contact Joseph Carlson at 970-596-5099.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Gunnison, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.