WV READY: Sweet Springs - Community Engagement Coordinator
Title of Position – WV Rural Engagement Ambassador for Development and Youth (WV READY) – Sweet Springs Resort Foundation
Length – 3/4/2024 – 10/11/2024, 32 weeks (about 7.5 months), full-time
Location – Sweet Springs, WV
Living Allowance - $600/week
AmeriCorps Award – Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $4,826, pre-tax. Still working on a degree at a West Virginia school? Learn how to maximize your education award!
Application Due Date – Preference will be given to applicants that submit their application by 2/05/2023
- Lead the completion of over 2 miles of trail on Peter's Mountain as part of Phase II development.
- Collaborate on the mountain biking trail's design phase, starting with the hiking trail's completion.
- Oversee the possible groundbreaking of the mountain bike trail and contribute to trail and trailhead maintenance, including removing obstacles, mowing paths, placing signage, signage repair, and general upkeep
- Beautify the park grounds leading to the trailhead, enhancing the overall aesthetic appeal.
- Help develop at least 3 rustic campsites and 1 shelter along Phase II of the trail, contributing to the overall outdoor experience.
- Paint and assist in maintaining office buildings, the hotel building, and any other structures used for trail management.
- Contribute to the design and construction of the ADA Trailhead.
- Work closely with the trail designer, members of the Allegheny Trail Committee, and Park management.
- Find joy and satisfaction in the work and time spent in this unique and beautiful environment.
- $600/week living stipend
- On site housing
- Paid training from March 11 - 14
- Segal Education Award upon completion of term $4,826 (pre-tax)
- Receive tuition and fee waivers at West Virginia institutions of higher education
- Professional development
- Access to all member and alumni benefits of Conservation Legacy – a national conservation non-profit
- Make a HUGE impact in your community
- Propel your career forward with intentional experience and professional connections
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prolonged periods of sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to function well in a high-paced environment
- GIS mapping skills or willing to learn
- Chainsaw experience (preferred)
- Must be a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Able to commit to a 32 week (about 7.5 months) service term
- 18 or older by start of service
- High School Diploma or GED by start of service
- Must be able to pass federal background check
- Willing to serve in West Virginia (WV resident preferred)
For More Information
West Virginia Programs Coordinator
Launched in 2022, the West Virginia Rural Engagement Ambassadors for Development and Youth (WV READY) is a new collaborative AmeriCorps program. Stewards Individual Placements, in partnership with Appalachian Conservation Corps, Volunteer WV and local community organizations, is working to support WV’s transition to eco-tourism, outdoor recreation, and increasing outdoor accessibility.
Although each WV READY member’s project will look different depending on host site needs, they will still be able to lean on a cohort-style model for support, shared experiences, and professional development. Ideal candidates for this initiative are young adults looking to build a career and be a part of this larger movement in the Mountain State! Find our current recruiting projects here.
Sweet Springs Resort Foundation Inc.
Founded in 1754 by the Lewis Brothers, this land had been used for unknown years before the brothers by the Trans-Allegheny Indians due to the healing powers of the warm water pool, and the purity of the drinking waters (has 4 times been named the purest unfiltered water in the world). The second hotel and the warm water healing pool were used by settlers before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The current hotel building - designed by Thomas Jefferson, became one of the grandest hotels of the "spas", even causing the creation of roads from Washington DC to Sweet Springs.
In 2005, the West Virginia Division of Culture and History designated the former Sweet Springs Resort as one of West Virginia’s most valuable and endangered historic resources. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The mission of The Sweet Springs Resort Park, a 501(C) (3) non-profit organization, is to restore this historical site to its former glory and to return the fertile land to productivity as a Jeffersonian style plantation. The site offers many possibilities for developing recreational facilities such as mountain biking trails and hiking trails that would connect to the Allegheny Trail and the internationally famous Appalachian Trail.
Stewards Individual Placements – A program of Conservation Legacy
Providing individual opportunities through service that build career-based experience, strengthen communities, and preserve our natural resources.
- We promote excellence in national service and strive to create the optimal service terms for our participants and organizational partners.
- We strive for consistency, transparency, and efficiency in our organizational systems and processes.
- We are committed to a collegiate environment that promotes personal development, individuality, professionalism, and fun.
- We respect the legacy of our organization while embracing the need to adapt our systems to better serve participants and partners.
- We are committed to actively participating in efforts to preserve and restore the global environment and ecosystem for future generations.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Sweet Springs, WV. View the Google Map in full screen.