Civil Engineer Resource Assistant
National Forest – Tonto National Forest
Term of positions is 32 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
2324 E. McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85006
$18.75/hour, plus $1000 housing allowance (equivalent to $25/hr for 40 hr work week)
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by February 9th.
Civil Engineer Resource Assistant
Stewards Individual Placement Program (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
Stewards in partnership with the Tonto National Forest is seeking a Civil Engineer Resource Assistant (RA). The Tonto National Forest (TNF) maintains thousands of roads throughout the forest to accommodate Forest Service, commercial, and public needs. The RA would provide much needed help with planning and maintaining Forest Service roads and County and State roads that traverse forest land, which provide the public with access to natural resources and to communities throughout the Tonto National Forest. Forest Service roads also enable Resource Specialists to access critical areas for resource surveys and for monitoring of sensitive and endangered species. The RA would, therefore, benefit the TNF communities and the environment through their efforts to help sustain a safe and efficient transportation system.
The RA will perform field condition surveys of National Forest Service roads, create engineering design plans, assist with transportation project site visits and inspections, and perform data entry as needed. The RA will also review construction documents for State and County projects to ensure Forest Service requirements are met, partner with State and County agencies when planning and coordinating construction work, and coordinate with district specialists to determine the needs for resource protection during and after construction.
Perform road condition field surveys with Transportation Engineers. This includes:
· Work with the supervisor to determine Forest Roads that require condition surveys
· Identify road issues (e.g. erosion, sedimentation, undercutting, culvert failures, pavement failures, etc.), take photos, collect field survey data
· Upload field survey data from electronic device to GIS, develop maps, and enter data into applicable system of record
· Report findings to the supervisor and collaborate on solutions for repairing roads
Assist with Transportation project site visits, inspections, and design. This includes:
· Accompany transportation engineers on project site visits
· Report findings to the supervisor and discuss potential solutions to issues
· Develop engineering drawings and contract documents
· Assist with inspections, take notes, monitor Contractor work progress to ensure conformance with contract requirements and specifications
Assist with Transportation project management and construction. This includes:
· Review construction documents for State, County, and private sector projects to ensure compliance with Forest Service requirements
· Partner with State and County agencies and with other FS stakeholders when planning and coordinating construction work
· Coordinate with district specialists to determine the needs for resource protection during and after construction
· At a minimum, candidates should have at least a two-year certificate or degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or a similar field that equips them with the knowledge and abilities to conduct engineering analyses, surveys, and inspections and to evaluate roads and road features for potential safety and performance deficiencies.
· Candidates should be proficient in Microsoft applications and Adobe Acrobat software to generate inspection reports, perform calculations, and manage/organize data.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by Conservation Legacy (over 21 years old or drivers license for at least three years).
· Experience working with GIS software - accessing data, creating layers, importing/exporting data, conducting geo-spatial analyses, and producing maps,
· Technical proficiencies in data collection methods, including using digital tablets or other electronic devices.
· $1000.00/month living allowance. (pre-tax)
· $50/monthly commuting allowance. (pre-tax)
· $2750.00 Professional Development and Travel fund.
· On-the-job training related to position responsibilities.
*The USFS Resource Assistant Program (RAP) is a rigorous, immersive, paid internship providing developmental and training opportunities for individuals interested in learning more about Forest Service careers. After completing a minimum of 960 hours of satisfactory work and an associate degree, RA’s may acquire a two-year certificate of noncompetitive hiring eligibility. The certificate enables participants to apply to internal merit announcements for qualifying permanent General Schedule FS positions as well as a Direct Hire Authority for FS Career positions.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Application Questions: Please contact Roddy Cobb Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Conservation Legacy is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during application or recruiting process, please send a request to the hiring manager.
This position is located at 2324 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ. View the Google Map in full screen.