Stewards WVREADY Fellow - Town of Fayetteville
Length – 01/22/2024 – 08/30/2024, 32 weeks, full-time
Location – Fayetteville, WV
Living Allowance - $600/week
AmeriCorps Award – Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $4,826, pre-tax. Still working on a degree at a West Virginia school? Learn how to maximize your education award!
Application Due Date – Preference will be given to applicants that submit their application by 12/08/2023
Title of Position – WV Rural Engagement Ambassador for Development and Youth (WV READY) – Town of Fayetteville
Keywords – Community Development and Planning, Grant Writing, Parks and Recreation, Asset Mapping, Event Planning, Communications, Community Outreach, Community Engagement, Social Media, Professional Networking, Career Development
Launched in 2022, the West Virginia Rural Engagement Ambassadors for Development and Youth (WV READY) is a new collaborative AmeriCorps program. Stewards Individual Placements, in partnership with Appalachian Conservation Corps, Volunteer WV and local community organizations, is working to support WV’s transition to eco-tourism, outdoor recreation, and increasing outdoor accessibility.
Although each WV READY member’s project will look different depending on host site needs, they will still be able to lean on a cohort-style model for support, shared experiences, and professional development. Ideal candidates for this initiative are young adults looking to build a career and be a part of this larger movement in the Mountain State! Find our current recruiting projects here.
Town of Fayetteville
The Town of Fayetteville celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2022 and continues to shine as a gateway community to the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve. The Town is responsible for the upkeep of parks, streets, a cemetery, as well as providing a safe and clean Town for citizens and visitors to our area. The Town was recently selected to be part of the EPA's Recreation Economies for Rural Communities (RERC) program. In a collaborative community effort, the Town established an action plan to improve Fayetteville’s Recreation Economy. Additionally, the Town has been working with a team to create a Town Master Plan to support their growing recreation opportunities.
The Town of Fayetteville is seeking an ambassador who will be the driving force behind the Town’s community RERC Action Plan and Town Master Plan. This individual will play a pivotal role in propelling this fast-growing, outdoor recreation focused community towards its full potential. This role will be multi-faceted and a good position for someone looking to gain a lot of experience in community development. An ideal candidate will have great interpersonal skills, a passion for increasing engagement with the outdoors, and ready to launch their career while growing a community.
- Coordinate and collaborate with local community stakeholders to achieve RERC Action Plan and Town Master Plan goals.
- Build a robust web presence for the parks and Town of Fayetteville.
- Work in collaboration with partner organizations and local businesses to organize community programming opportunities throughout the year.
- Create a community asset map to determine best avenues to spur outdoor economy in assigned communities.
- Develop programming schedule for parks and recreation in the community.
- Partner with local schools and youth sports leagues to increase youth engagement.
- Collaborate on grant writing to further Action Plan goals.
- Must be a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Able to commit to 32 weeks of service
- Must be 18 years old or older
- High School Diploma or GED (by start of service)
- Must be able to pass federal background check
- Willing to serve in West Virginia, West Virginia resident preferred
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Social Media Savvy
- Organizational abilities
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Grant or creative writing experience
- $600/week living stipend
- Paid training
- Segal Education Award upon completion of term $4,826 (pre-tax)
- Receive tuition and fee waivers at West Virginia institutions of higher education
- Professional development
- Access to all member and alumni benefits of Conservation Legacy – a national conservation non-profit
- Make a HUGE impact in your community
- Propel your career forward with intentional experience and professional connections
Please be prepared to upload a resume and cover letter as part of this application.
For More Information
West Virginia Programs Manager
Stewards Individual Placements – A program of Conservation Legacy
Providing individual opportunities through service that build career-based experience, strengthen communities, and preserve our natural resources.
- We promote excellence in national service and strive to create the optimal service terms for our participants and organizational partners.
- We strive for consistency, transparency, and efficiency in our organizational systems and proceses.
- We are committed to a collegiate environment that promotes personal development, individuality, professionalism, and fun.
- We respect the legacy of our organization while embracing the need to adapt our systems to better serve participants and partners.
- We are committed to actively participating in efforts to preserve and restore the global environment and ecosystem for future generations.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Fayetteville, WV. View the Google Map in full screen.