OSMRE AmeriCorps Intern - Public Affairs Specialist
Stewards Individual Placements (SIP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIP, in partnership with the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE), seeks a Public Affairs Specialist who will play an important role in supporting the efforts to develop professional web content for OSMRE.
This is a 15-week internship, lasting from March 11, 2024 - June 12, 2024.
For more information regarding Stewards, please visit our website.
For more information regarding the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, please visit the website here.
The Public Affairs Specialist will assist with creating educational web content related to OSMRE, overseeing and managing the Office of Communications’ digital file repository, and the creation of additional content for OSMRE’s agency-wide Intranet. This internship is designed to foster creativity in a learning environment, while producing deliverables that impact the agency and public at large. The creation of these products will help create more transparency and easily understood materials for agency employees and the public, contributing greatly to the OSMRE mission by connecting everyone to the work completed by the agency and its state and tribal partners.
The intern will help streamline the Office of Communications’ ability to find quality content to use in communication plans. This is essential to support OSMRE’s work and expedite the finding of personnel and contact info across the organization. The work would also expose the intern to a variety of stakeholders with different fields of expertise, as well as internal and external audiences. The intern’s work will help the agency continue to modernize and equip its communications to better serve the public and OSMRE.
The Public Affairs Specialist intern will create lasting products for OSMRE while developing their own professional resume, skillset, and network to support long-term career aspirations.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Creation of educational web content
- Oversight and management of the Office of Communications’ digital file repository
- Creation of content for the OSMRE-wide Intranet
- Modernization and quality control of web content
- Living Allowance: $580/week at 40hrs/week (pre-tax)
- Successful completion of this term will award the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award of $1,824.07.
- More information about the Segal Education Award here.
- Experience with a Federal agency
- Eligibility to place Federal student loans on Forbearance during time in service.
- More information about AmeriCorps loan forbearance here.
- Professional Development including Job Shadowing
- Employee Assistance Program, including 24/7 in-moment support and 3 free sessions with a licensed, professional counselor.
- In-house, regularly hosted, free professional development sessions (resume writing, presentation practice, many others)
- A network of like-minded colleagues and peers
- Direct, on-site mentor
- Health Insurance
How to Apply
In addition to your resume, please submit a statement of interest (no more than 250 words) or one-page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position. Please do not include your social security number, date of birth, or physical address on any documents submitted with your application, including your resume.
Apply by date: December 18, 2023
Stewards Individual Placements does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application, interviewing, and/or onboarding process, please send your request to the hiring manager in your preferred method of communication.
Please reach out to JM Aurednik (ore-ed-nik) (he/him) at email@example.com or give me a call/text message at 681.238.0963.
- Experience with social media content creation
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Understanding of information and knowledge management
- Writing skills
- Understanding of WordPress or Drupal content management systems and SharePoint
- Web design experience
- Anyone interested is encouraged to apply!
This position is located in Washington, DC, DC. View the Google Map in full screen.