SCC Four Corners – Aztec Ruins National Monument Crew Member
Position: SCC Four Corners – Aztec Ruins National Monument Crew Member
Dates: August 28th – November 9th, 2023
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Camping Program
Location: Based out of Durango,CO; Project work will be at Aztec Ruins National Monument
Stipend: $600 ($400/week living stipend + $200/week housing stipend)
Ages: 18 – 30
Benefits: $1,374.60 300 hr AmeriCorps Education Award (Value may change depending on term of service), Food provided while in the field, uniform shirts, personal protective equipment. Wilderness First Aid & CPR/AED certification
Southwest Conservation Corps:
The Southwest Conservation Corps (SCC) is a program of the non-profit service organization, Conservation Legacy, that is built on the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that operated from 1933 – 1942. SCC provides youth and young adults opportunities to complete conservation projects primarily on public lands. While serving with SCC, members receive training on job skills, conflict resolution, leadership, teamwork, and environmental stewardship. Programs are developed using a step ladder approach to provide a progression of skill development based on a member’s needs. Members receive a weekly living allowance, training, and an AmeriCorps Education Award (for qualifying individuals).
About the Position
The Aztec Ruins National Monument Crew consists of 2 leaders and 6 members. The crew will be working their entire season at Aztec Ruins in Northern New Mexico. The project work may consist of trail maintenance, trail construction, vegetation management, invasive species removal, maintenance tasks, fencing and facility management.
Crews work primarily in front country locations in all weather conditions. On-hitch, crews camp together, prepare all meals together, and work together as a group to complete all projects and chores. SCC does not provide accommodations off-hitch and Crew Members will be responsible for their own accommodations during that time.
Schedules generally are 8-days on and 6 off. There is a possibility you could work 4-days on and 3-days off, or a variation of schedules requiring all AmeriCorps crew members to show flexibility. All crews will go through a 5-day (unpaid) volunteer orientation (August 28th – September 1st, 2023). This will include a Wilderness First Aid training. Food and space to camp is provided for this training.
Required Skills & Experience
- To qualify, you must be between the ages of 18 and 30
- A US citizen that has received (or on track to receive) a high school diploma or GED
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 lbs
- Completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check
Participant Essential Eligibility Requirements
Essential eligibility requirements for the program must be met. If you are unable to meet certain requirements, we may be able to assist you with some modification unless it alters the fundamental nature of the program, compromises the health and safety of participants or staff, or places an undue financial or administrative burden on the organization.
Participant and Expedition Behavior
- Work effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions
- Willingness and ability to complete all aspects of the program
- Contribute to a safe learning environment, no harassment of any kind
- Appropriately represent SCC and AmeriCorps to the public and project partners at all times
Risk Management and Judgement
- Effectively follow direction by others, so that you will be able to successfully manage hazards
- Ask clarifying questions when you do not understand a task
- Maintain focus during workday, both while traveling and working in varied weather conditions
- If taking prescription medications, participants must be able to maintain proper dosage without assistance from others.
Environmental Ethics & Outdoor Skills
- Learn and safely perform fundamental outdoor living and work skills as appropriate to the project
- Live in a physically demanding, possibly remote environment for an uninterrupted period of up to several weeks
- In accordance with a drug free workplace, alcohol and drugs are prohibited while participating in AmeriCorps and SCC activities, and while on organization property.
Any questions can be sent to:
Greta Binzen, SCC Four Corners Adult Program Coordinator: email@example.com
Lane Tomassini, SCC Four Corners Adult Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conservation Legacy is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during application or recruiting process, please send a request to the hiring manager.
This position is located in Durango, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.