Programs Associate - Jamaica Bay-Rockaway Parks Conservancy (Stewards:VISTA)
- Relocation Allowance if eligible
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Living Allowance
- Choice of Education Award ($6,895) or End of Service Stipend
- Public Land Corps Federal Hiring Authority
- PTO, Sick days, and Holidays
Jamaica Bay - Rockaway Park Conservancy
As a private-public partnership, the Jamaica Bay-Rockaway Parks Conservancy (JBRPC) works closely with federal, state, and city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local residents to improve and support public parklands in Jamaica Bay and the Rockaway peninsula in Brooklyn and Queens in New York City. Encompassing over 10,000 acres of parkland, JBRPC serves approximately 35 neighborhoods and over half a million residents through its stewardship of Jamaica Bay and Rockaway parks. JBRPC seeks to improve access and create systems for sustained stewardship of parklands throughout Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways so that parklands can contribute to the social, ecological, economic, and health benefits parks are capable of.
The AmeriCorps VISTA member will work to build organizational capacity and serve local communities with a specific focus on engaging underserved residents in education and public programs, while also supporting community engagement and grant identification and reporting efforts. The AmeriCorps VISTA member will support JBRPC’s growing educational portfolio, collaborating on program development and program facilitation of citizen science and service-learning-based field trips to Jamaica Bay and Rockaway parks. The VISTA member will also support JBRPC’s growing public and family programs, working with neighboring communities to increase engagement in and access to parkland through volunteerism and community building. Finally, the AmeriCorps VISTA member will support community engagement by developing a community asset map to identify and document strategic partners. As needed, the VISTA member will assist in identifying and applying for grants that will support and fund green jobs for park maintenance with a focus on youth from low-income communities.
- Assist in program facilitation for community science and service-learning-based field trips and public programs.
- Review previous public programs, and assist in planning, scheduling, and coordinating the 2024 public programs calendar.
- Work with partner agencies and non-profits in coordinating program logistics including park permitting, scheduling, and supply needs.
- Assist with grant identification and writing, with a focus on nature-based programming and environmental education.
- Support the JBRPC team in grant reporting efforts and reapplying to existing grants.
- Support planning and facilitation of volunteer stewardship events.
- Collaborate to create an early childhood program with a specific focus on engaging underserved residents in recreational and educational activities in their park.
- Ability to Work Efficiently on a Team
- Strong Communicator
- Writing and Editing Skills
- Strong drive to make and see change in your community!
- Community Organization
- Higher Education Experience
- Grant Writing
- Youth Development
This position is located in Rockaway Park, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.