Interpretation and Education Intern (10 Week)
Waco Mammoth National Monument
Length: Term of positions is 10 weeks; full-time 40 hrs./wk.
Location: Waco, Texas Living Allowance: $625 /week
AmeriCorps Award: Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $1,374.00 (pre-tax).
Start Date: 06/05/2023
Title of Position: Interpretation and Education Intern
Stewards Individual Placement Program (SIPP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIPP in partnership with [Waco Mammoth National Monument] are seeking an intern who will assist members of the Interpretation and Education Division in developing and presenting formal and informal (in-person and virtual) interpretive programs, including education programs to visitors of all ages. Programs will focus on the cultural and environmental themes associated to Columbian mammoth fossils, Paleontology, the Pleistocene epoch, the local community gathering together to establish the monument, and on the mission of the National Park Service. As a result, intern will help Waco Mammoth National Monument's mission to engage new and diverse audiences
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Learn about Columbian mammoth fossils and paleontology, including the greater park resources.
- Assist in providing creative, relevant, and engaging interpretive experiences for visitors of all ages and different backgrounds.
- Develop formal and informal interpretive programs using audience centered techniques.
- Assist in creating new virtual interpretive opportunities. Minimum Requirements:
- An education background in history, natural sciences, education, environmental science, or similar subjects is recommended, but not required.
- Great public speaking skills.
- Positive attitude.
- Able to multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter, creative, strategic, and resourceful.
- 18 years or older
- Able to pass federal, state, and sex offender background checks
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Experience working in customer service.
- Strong computer skills.
- Comfortable working with large groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and social media platforms.
- Living Allowance: $625/week (pre-tax)
- Specific training offered: CPR & First Aid training, onsite safety training, education and interpretive program training, customer service training.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Waco, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.