NPS Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument Visual Information Specialist Intern
Stipend: $634/week ($15.85/hr)
Internship Length: 18 weeks, full time
Dates: 5/8/2023-9/8/2023 (flexible)
Number of Positions: 4
Reports to: Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument, National Park Service
National Park Service Mission:
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
NPS Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument Interpretive Individual Placement (IP) Overview:
Stewards Individual Placement Programs (SIPP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIPP in partnership with Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is seeking interns who will develop written, audio and video content for the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument website.
The Visual Information Specialist Intern is an internship position based at Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in Maine. Katahdin Woods and Waters is an 87,000+ acre national monument designated in 2016 to protect a landscape where the East Branch Penobscot River and its tributaries run freely. These positions will work closely with a seasonal National Park Service Visual Information Specialist to enhance the website for Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.
Throughout their terms, interns will focus on developing new content and photos for the website. After an orientation to the monument, interns will have the opportunity to explore it thoroughly to develop a stronger understanding of its natural and cultural resources. Once interns are familiar with the monument, they will write content for web pages using plain language to enhance the information available to visitors as they plan their visits. Those with skills and interest in photography and videography will have the opportunity to contribute visual media to the website and NPS app.
The intern will get to interact with park and partner staff, volunteers, and other interns to seek out and tell various stories through written and visual media.
- Develop strong knowledge about Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument through guided orientation, personal exploration and independent research.
- Research topics and write interpretive content for website using plain language.
- Photograph cultural and natural resources in monument and process photos for use on the website using Adobe Creative Suite
- Develop audio and video content for the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument website and presence on the National Park Service app.
- Health Care
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Eligible for Public Lands Corps direct hiring authority upon completion
- Eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award* ($2626.27) upon completion
- Opportunity to make a big impact!
*Must be 18 by end of service term to be eligible for education award
For more information contact Jeanne Roy at email@example.com
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Professionalism and good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to synthesize complex information into plain language for a broad audience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in photography and/or videography.
- Interest in pursuing a career with a public land management agency.
This position is located in Patten, ME. View the Google Map in full screen.