Stewards VISTA: Glacier National Park -Tribal Community Engagement Coordinator
- Living Allowance
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Non-Competitive Federal Hiring Authority
Service Description : This VISTA project is designed to help individuals from the Blackfeet Nation, the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, and other tribal communities attain meaningful employment in Glacier National Park. The VISTA member will serve as an employment ambassador for Glacier National Park and collaborate with park employees, community members, Blackfeet Community College Career Center, Blackfeet Manpower, Salish Kootenai Community College, and other organizations to explore the barriers to employment, develop innovative solutions and associated materials to address these barriers, and build relationships to better serve neighboring populations and to build pathways out of poverty. The Blackfeet had an expansive territory in Montana and Canada. In 1896, a 20-mile strip of the Blackfeet Nation was “ceded” and later became part of Glacier National Park in 1910. Given this complicated history, the relationship between the park and the Blackfeet Tribe has not always been positive. Through a previous four-year VISTA project focused on community engagement and environmental education, a term position for cultural interpretation, and a park superintendent committed to a positive tribal relationship, the park has worked to improve its relationship with the Blackfeet and now has many strong partnerships with tribal organizations and members. This VISTA project would continue to build on the tribal community engagement efforts already established with an added focus on opportunities for meaningful employment in Glacier National Park.
Member Duties :
- The VISTA member will explore barriers to employment with Glacier National Park from the perspective of potential applicants, community stakeholders, and Park supervisors. Innovative solutions to overcome these barriers will be identified and developed.
- The VISTA will develop materials and resources on employment opportunities and other topics related to career ladders including resume writing, navigating USAJOBS, job interviewing, the application process, and expectations for National Park Service positions.
- Trainings and workshops will be developed to share these resources and empower local organizations to continue these trainings on their own into the future.
- The VISTA will engage and work alongside partners in the Blackfeet Community and Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes to continue to strengthen partnerships between the Park and the local tribal communities, and identify barriers that exist for finding professional development and employment opportunities.
Service Areas : Community Outreach , Tribal , Education , Community and Economic Development , Environment
Skills : Teaching/Tutoring , Environment , Recruitment , Team Work , Community Organization , Communications , Writing/Editing , General Skills , Computers/Technology , Cultural Sensitivity , Public Speaking
This position is located in West Glacier, MT. View the Google Map in full screen.