Alamosa Adult Crew Member - Los Valles
Position: Alamosa Adult Program Crew Member
Start/ End dates: 5/29/2023 – 8/11/2023 (Accepting members on a rolling basis)
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Camping Program
Location: Salida, CO
Stipend: $600/week ($400/week living stipend + $200/week housing stipend)
Ages: 18 – 24
Benefits: $1,459.26 300hr AmeriCorps Education Award (Value may change depending on term of service), Food provided while in the field, uniform shirts, personal protective equipment. USFS (United States Forest Service) recognized Chainsaw, Mental Health First Aid Training, Wilderness First Responder & CPR/AED certification
Southwest Conservation Corp’s Alamosa Adult crew engages young adults of the San Luis Valley community in technical, professional, and personal development in the conservation field. As such, the Alamosa Adult crew provides an open and supportive space where Opportunity Youth of the San Luis Valley members serve with, learn from, and grow alongside one another as members gain trainings and certifications in trail construction, Wilderness First Aid & CPR, crosscut, and habitat restoration. The crew will also emphasize leadership and professional development (managing projects and communicating with project partners) and interpersonal development (i.e., restorative justice and trauma-informed care).
This crew consists of 6 members and 2 leaders. Crews will be in the field and camp for 8 days at a time in either front country (access to your crew vehicle and trailer), or backcountry (hiking all your supplies in with backpacks) locations, in all types of weather conditions. You will serve as a member of the crew, perform heavy manual labor, and complete conservation projects using a variety of manual and power tools. You will participate in environmental education activities. Risk management is of utmost importance, and all procedures must be followed at all times.
Projects include hazardous fuels reduction, corridor clearing, habitat restoration and fencing, re-vegetation, and local environmental service projects. Crews may also complete technical and/or specialized projects depending on project partner needs, including disaster relief if the opportunity arises.
Schedules are 8-days on and 6 off. There is a possibility you could serve 5 days on and 2 days off, or a variation of schedules requiring all AmeriCorps crew members to show flexibility. SCC does not provide housing on your days off.
All crews will go through a paid, 4-day orientation where you will earn a Wilderness First Aid & CPR certification, as well as a Roots of Success certification. Food and space to camp are provided for this training.
Required Skills & Experience
Participant Essential Eligibility Requirements
Essential eligibility requirements for the program must be met. If you are unable to meet certain requirements, we may be able to assist you with some modification unless it alters the fundamental nature of the program, compromises the health and safety of participants or staff, or places an undue financial or administrative burden on the organization.
- To qualify, you must be between the ages of 18 and 24
- Must be Opportunity Youth: disconnected from work and school, and a resident of the San Luis Valley
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- A US citizen that has received (or on track to receive) a high school diploma or GED
- All offers of service are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
Participant and Expedition Behavior
- Serve effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions
- Willingness and ability to complete all aspects of the program
- Contribute to a safe learning environment; no harassment of any kind
- Appropriately represent SCC and AmeriCorps to the public and project partners at all time
- Risk Management and Judgement
- Effectively follow direction by others, so that you will be able to successfully manage hazards
- Ask clarifying question when you do not understand a task
- Maintain focus during the day, both while traveling and serving in varied weather conditions.
- If taking prescription medications, participants must be able to maintain proper dosage without assistance from others.
- Environmental Ethics & Outdoor Skills
- Learn and safely perform fundamental outdoor living and skills as appropriate to the project.
- Live in a physically demanding and/or remote environment for an uninterrupted period of up to several weeks
In accordance with a drug free program, alcohol and drugs are prohibited while participating in AmeriCorps and SCC activities, and while on organization property.
SCC Los Valles equity is a core value. To put power behind this statement, we prioritize and encourage opportunities for Young Adults of the San Luis Valley. We warmly encourage those with criminal records to apply. Interested candidates are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO APPLY: Visit https://sccorps.org/open-positions
SCC Los Valles equity is a core value. To put power behind this statement, we prioritize and encourage opportunities for Black, Indigenous, Queer, Trans, and Women of Color (QTBIPOC). Interested candidates are encouraged to contact email@example.com. for inquiries and submit an application on our website.
Conservation Legacy is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to the hiring manager.
This position is located in salida, CO. View the Google Map in full screen.