HPTC Traditional Trades Advancement Program Intern – Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial
NPS HPTC Traditional Trades Advancement Program – Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial
Term of positions is 26 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
Lincoln City, Indiana
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 3/1/2023
Title of Position
Historic Preservation Training Center TTAP intern – Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial
Stewards Individual Placement Program (SIPP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
SIPP in partnership with the National Park Service and Historic Preservation Training Center are seeking individuals to participate in the Traditional Trades Apprenticeship Program. Members will receive introductory training in a variety of traditional trades and will develop an understanding of historic resource stewardship while helping to preserve our nation’s historic resources. This program provides participants with marketable skills and excellent exposure to the historic preservation career field within the NPS as well as the private sector.
This internship position will work with park facilities team and the Historic Preservation Training Center to focus on the historic preservation of Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial. Lincoln Boyhood preserves the place where Abraham Lincoln learned to laugh with his father, cried over the death of his mother, read the books that opened his mind, and triumphed over the adversities of life on the frontier. Many character and moral traits of one of the world's most respected leaders were formed and nurtured here. Majority of the work will be cleaning Sandstone at the Visitor center, paver truck pointing, historic cemetery fence repair, headstone cleaning, and maintaining and repairing log cabins.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Learning Masonry, Carpentry, and Woodcrafting
- General maintenance (ie. Gutters, roofing, plumbing, etc.)
- Historic and cultural landscape maintenance and management
- Historic structure preservation
- Moderate to heavy physical effort is required for this position, including, lifting, or handling of objects over 50lbs using proper techniques.
- Standing or kneeling for long periods and will be required to climb ladders, work from scaffolding or platforms, work on uneven or angled surfaces such as a roof, and/or be able to work in confined spaces.
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Must be a U.S. Citizen·
- Must be 18-30 years of age, maximum 35 for Veterans with DD-214
- $18/hour pay
- Safety training
- On-site housing
- Possible training in:
- Historic and Cultural Landscape Management
- Wood crafting
- General maintenance (plumbing, roofing, etc.)
- Historic building preservation
- On-Site Housing Available
How to Apply:
Please be prepared to submit a resume as part of this application.
Gwennan Richmond-Stewards Program Coordinator
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Lincoln City, IN. View the Google Map in full screen.