Field Ranger Steward
Term of positions is 14 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $1,718.25 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 2/1/2023
Title of Position:
Field Ranger Stewards
Stewards Individual Placement Program (SIPP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIPP in partnership with the partnership with the United States Forest Service, is seeking Field Ranger Stewards who will help clear and maintain trails and inventory recreation sites within the Paonia Ranger District, as well as support larger projects.
Field Ranger Stewards will support inventory and management of developed recreation sites, dispersed recreation sites, travel management, trail maintenance, sign replacement, volunteer project management, and visitor education during their service with the Paonia Ranger District of the Gunnison National Forest. The Stewards will be expected to work as an independent team, sometimes with the support of the program lead. They will be expected to be able to hike 1-10 miles per day in mountainous terrain while performing duties. Stewards will be expected to operate ATVs and 4x4 vehicles independently in mountainous terrain. The Stewards will also be expected to be proficient in backcountry travel and low impact techniques. They will assist in the use of pack and saddle stock and will be trained in ATV operation, pack and saddle stock use, crosscut saw use, S-212 chainsaw use, and large 4x4 vehicle/trailer operation. Stewards will perform regular maintenance of developed recreation sites including trailhead signage, campground facilities, and outdoor toilets. The stewards will perform other duties as assigned. They will get to live in the small and lively town of Paonia and work in the surrounding National Forest including the West Elk and Raggeds Mountains.
Lastly, Stewards will have exposure to many facets of USFS management and the opportunity to work with other resources such as timber, range, and wildlife. Previous members have used this experience as a gateway into a career with the USFS and other agencies. It will be a rigorous yet very rewarding experience.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Perform trail corridor maintenance in wilderness and non-wilderness settings.
- Assist in volunteer and youth leadership and management.
- Inventory and management of dispersed recreation sites
- Management and maintenance of developed recreation facilities
- Maintenance of Travel Management signage
- Assist the timber, range, and wildlife resources when needed.
- Valid Driver’s License for at least three years and clean driving record
- Ability to work with little to no direct supervision
- Ability to hike and operate vehicles in mountainous terrain
- Bachelor's Degree or in pursuit of Bachelor's Degree
- Experience with backcountry travel and camping
- ATV/ Off Road Vehicle Experience
- Trail work experience
- Manual labor experience
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $1,718.25 (pre-tax).
- Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax)
- Housing Provided
- Training Opportunities:
- S-212 Chainsaw certification
- Crosscut saw training and certification
- First aid and CPR
- ATV certification through ATV Safety Institute
- Defensive driving and 4x4 vehicle operation
- Horse and mule (stock) training
- Job Hazard Analysis review
- Tailgate safety sessions
- Use of power tools and hand tools
- Forest Service sign protocols
- GPS and electronic data collection devices
- Leave-No-Trace and "Authority of the Resource"
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Please contact Alex Whittow, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please submit your application by February 1, 2023 to ensure full consideration.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Paonia. View the Google Map in full screen.