Data Steward Resource Assistant
Minimum 960 hours/ 52 weeks; 40 hours week.
Within the Southwestern Region (New Mexico or Arizona) Location TBD after selection. Duty location will be determined based on applicant pool. There are Forest Service office spaces available.
TBD, preferred May/early June 2022
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 5/27/2022
Title of Position
Data Steward Resource Assistant
Stewards Individual Placement Program (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
Stewards in partnership with the USDA Forest Service Southwestern Regional Office are seeking a Resource Assistant to assist in administrative operations, program management, and database management for projects funded under the Great American Outdoors Act. These positions will serve the USDA Forest Service Southwestern Region Regional Office and 11 National Forests across the region with professional civil engineering services in support of projects for the Great American Outdoors Act (GAOA) under the mentorship and advisement of agency engineers.
Position Responsibilities will include:
This position assists with a variety of duties in support of senior staff for the Southwestern Region's Great American Outdoors Act program.
The Resource Assistant (RA) will work with the Regional Asset Management Team in providing
mission support to Great American Outdoors Act projects in the Southwestern Region. The
RA will train and mentor with Forest Service (FS) recreation and engineering staff to learn FS practices, methods, techniques to provide services. They will provide administrative data management services to the units with oversight and supervision. Use of a government vehicle may be necessary for this position.
Primary duties for Data Steward RA will include:
- Incumbent assists with a variety of duties associated with the day-to-day operation of the data services specialist program.
- Under close supervision, the incumbent may perform any of the following duties:
- Provide guidance and support to the forests with the management of natural resources software, programs and applications for corporate databases and gains technical ability to write database queries.
- Provide input on development and deployment efforts for corporate and Geographic Information System (GIS) applications and assists with training to forest and district personnel.
- Exercise limited control of the corporate applications and corporate/regional data, both geospatial and tabular.
- Limited support with national corporate application and GIS related projects.
Both positions also perform other duties as assigned.
- Data Steward:
- Principles of Data Analysis - apply and integrate techniques from statistical analysis, data visualization, and experience with database operations. Intermediate Excel skills - knowledge of formulas, pivot tables, drop down lists and creation of charts/graphs with multiple data sets.
- Strong Communication skills - ability to provide both written and oral information exchange, instructions and answers to inquiries regarding database operations.
- Organizational skills- ability to provide effective and sufficient organizational structures, processes, and tools
- Enthusiasm for working in the outdoors and sharing with others.
- Ability to get along well with others.
- Receptive to mentorship, open to learning, and strong teamwork skills
- Driver’s License and ability to pass MVR through Conservation Legacy (must be over 21 years old or have had license for 3 years)
- Business Analytics, Data warehousing or GIS - Experience with business analytics, data warehousing systems or geographic information systems (GIS), and geospatial analysis (can create maps, populate databases and work with online programs).
- $1000/month housing allowance (pre-tax)
- $50/monthly commuting reimbursement. (pre-tax)
- $5550.00 Professional Development and Training fund.
- Health care
- Direct Hire Authority and Noncompetitive Hiring Authority eligibility upon successful program completion.
- Position related training
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one-page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Arizona, AZ. View the Google Map in full screen.