Traditional Trades Advancement Program - National Capital Area
NPS – Historical Preservation Training Center - Traditional Trades Advancement Program - National Capital Aera
Term of positions is 20 weeks; full-time 40 hrs/wk
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,417.14 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 4/22/2022
Title of Position
Traditional Trades Advancement Program- National Capital Area
Stewards Individual Placement Program (SIPP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIPP in partnership with the Historical Preservation Training Center are seeking an intern who will remove any graffiti left by visitors both to protect the integrity and materiality of the resources. The team will be working with the Parks to help remove older "legacy" graffiti that has not been previously removed due to lack of resources as well as be accessible to help remove new graffiti as it shows up on Park resources during the work period.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Organize and Implement work plans to address NCA park sites affected by graffiti
- Develop basic schedules of work for graffiti removal
- organize and monitor supplies
- drive vehicle with equipment and removal supplies
- implement graffiti removal treatment
- properly dispose of removal waste
- Photo document all work including before, during, and after treatment.
- Process photos and write bi-monthly sitework report
- Create map of historic resources affected by graffiti for documentation and monitoring
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to drive a vehicle with a trailer attached
- Moderate to heavy physical effort is required for this position, including occasional lifting or handling of objects over 75lbs using proper techniques.
- Standing or kneeling for long periods and will be required to climb ladders, work from scaffolding or platforms, work on uneven or angled surfaces such as a roof, and/or be able to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, climb and walk in all manners of environmental conditions such as rain, mud, and extreme heat or cold.
- Personal transportation will be required to report to job site.
- 18-30 years of age, maximum 35 years old for Veterans with valid DD-214
- United States citizen or legal resident
- Comfortable working with chemical paint removers
- Adobe photoshop and Bridge program experience
- Prior experience in historic preservation and/or trades preferred
- Open to current students and recent grads of historic preservation programs, previous TTAP members, and other applicants with background education or experience in historic trades
- Ability to commit to a 20-week experience of combined training and hands-on work
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $2,417.14 (pre-tax).
- Living Allowance: $550/week (pre-tax)
- Public Land Corps Hiring Authority Eligibility - must meet 640 hours of service.
- Training around chemical and graffiti removal
- Historic Preservation Training
- Employee Assistance Program- 3 free sessions of support with a counseling or work-life balance specialist
- Uniform and other necessary equipment are provided
- Laptop given to members
Please be prepared to upload your resume as part of this application.
For more information contact:
Stewards Program Coordinator
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Washington, DC, DC. View the Google Map in full screen.