Los Valles Veterans Fire Corps Crew Member 2022
POSITIONS OPEN TO ALL POST-9/11 ERA VETERANS FOR THE 2022 SEASON
Veterans Conservation Corps 2020 Program: May 9 - October 28, 2022 OR July Start, through late Fall
Full vaccination against COVID-19 by the first day of your service term and ability to provide proof of vaccination before starting is required.
- $425 per week living stipend for duration of program
- Wildland firefighting certs including S130/190, S-212
- Food, Group gear, and equipment provided during all project work
- AmeriCorps Education Award of $3047.50
- Off time bunk-style housing will be provided by Colorado Fire Camp
Southwest Conservation Corps: Southwest Conservation Corps: The Southwest Conservation Corps (SCC) is a non-profit, AmeriCorps-affiliated organization, whose mission is to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities and the environment. SCC supports youth crews, adult camping crews (ages 18-30), and Veteran fire crews (ages 21-35) with crew-based programming to complete challenging and impactful conservation projects throughout the Los Valles and Four Corners Regions. Projects include, trail construction & maintenance, habitat improvement, invasive species removal, hazardous fuels reduction, re-vegetation and local environmental service projects. Crews may also complete technical and/or specialized projects depending on project partner needs, including disaster relief. SCC crews work in national parks, forests, and other public lands throughout central and southwestern Colorado.
Veterans Fire Corps Program Overview: The Southwest Conservation Corps (SCC), with the partnership of the US Forest Service (USFS), and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) invites you to join the Veterans Conservation Corps for an on the job training experience in forestry, conservation, and fuels management. Our program seeks physically capable military Veterans between the ages of 21 - 35 who are willing to operate out of Salida, Colorado, for the duration of the term of service. The program is designed to provide recent era Veterans with the technical skill and physical ability for service in wildland firefighting and natural resource management careers.
All programs are AmeriCorps National Service on-the-job training programs and feature three primary components:
Conservation Training – Intensive training in conservation work skills, wilderness ethics as well as backcountry living skills. Each day will involve up to 10-12 hours of classroom and/or field time.
Project Work – On the job experience working as a trails crew member on public lands on varied locations across Colorado. Crews typically work 10-hour days. The May start program will primarily work 4 days followed by 3 days off and the July start will be working 8 days, followed by 6 days off. During fire season, schedules are subject to change in order to accommodate USFS/BLM priorities.
- Conservation Leadership Development (for crew leaders)
- Wildland Fire Chainsaw Faller Type 3 (Faller A)
- I100 – Introduction to the Incident Command System, NIMS 100/700
- Wilderness First Aid/CPR
- Leave No Trace principles
- Wilderness Physical Fitness
- Federal resume writing and USA jobs application consultation
- Military Service – All applicants must have a valid DD214, NGB22, or equivalent document; or currently be serving in the National Guard or Reserve.
- Physical Fitness – Applicants must be able to run and hike for project work and physical training. Members must also be able to walk up to 8 miles per day with a 45 – 65lb backpack during the orientation phase of the program.
- Commitment – All applicants must partake in all activities during the program. Members must make a strong commitment to complete all aspects of the program including conservation projects, education, training and national forest service events. Members must commit to participating in all crew activities for the duration of the session with little time off. Project work will vary and is often unpredictable.
- Risk Management -You will be expected to take a serious attitude toward individual and group safety all day and every day. You will be working around dangerous equipment and environments.
- Substance Free – All applicants are prohibited from utilizing any controlled substance including alcohol or cannabis while at work, at camp, or in sponsored housing.
- Professionalism – Members must be willing to appropriately represent the SCC Program and AmeriCorps. Members must dress appropriately in uniform at all times, utilize appropriate language, and conduct themselves to the highest professional standard at all times.
- Expedition Behavior - Work effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions. This may require problem solving on an interpersonal or group level as well as a willingness to accept differences.
· Frequently required to walk, hike, sit, talk and listen.
· Required to use hands to operate objects and tools, and to reach with hands and arms.
· Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to focus.
· Must be able to speak, understand, read and write English.
· Follow all SCC policies. SCC is a substance free work environment. All must refrain from the use of tobacco products, vaping, alcohol, and drugs while in the program.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Participant Essential Eligibility Requirements
Essential eligibility requirements for the program must be met. If you are unable to meet certain requirements, we may be able to assist you with some modification unless it alters the fundamental nature of the program, compromises the health and safety of participants or staff, or places an undue financial or administrative burden on the organization. These requirements are written the same for all positions and may not apply to your particular position.
For questions, please contact Ben Correll, Los Valles Program Coordinator, at email@example.com
This position is located in Salida. View the Google Map in full screen.