Youth Empowerment Stewards (YES) - Southern West Virginia
Start date: November 1st, 2021 (flexible to start sooner with the right candidate)
End date: (12 weeks after the start date)
This is a full-time, seasonal 450-hour AmeriCorps National Service position. Placement locally within Stewards Beckley, WV office, National Park Service locations, or remote options available.
Contact: Sam Forsythe
This is a great opportunity to learn more about a career in resource management and land stewardship! At Conservation Legacy, we recognize the health of our planet and its people depend on varied voices, ideas, and experiences working together to solve the complex problems we face. Youth Empowerment Stewards will be assigned to positions within Conservation Legacy or National Park Service locations that are working to advance accessibility and inclusion within the public land sector. Interns will support Conservation Legacy and our partners in developing inclusive programming for staff, members, and visitors with a focus on creating inclusive spaces and opportunities for people with and without disabilities. Assigned partner projects vary, but all provide YES members with career training in land management and conservation programming concluding with the opportunity to connect with future career employment prospects.
YES internships are seasonal, 12-week positions supported by Conservation Legacy’s Stewards program. YES internships are available to individuals with a disability either 18-24 years of age or veterans up to age 35. A list of Disabilities can be found here.
YES Internship Overview
Individuals serving in this role will assist Stewards Individual Placements Eastern region with programmatic and organization reviews to identify best practices, barriers to service, and pathways to inclusivity. These overarching goals may be accomplished through a variety of activities including but not limited to community meeting representation, policy research, training and education presentations, grant research, and general administrative support.
This position will be one of a cohort of (5) five YES interns. Specific areas of responsibility for the Conservation Legacy member includes:
- Collaborate with other YES interns within cohort to establish best practices across the program.
- Research barriers to entry that people with disabilities experience when seeking employment and internships in outdoor spaces
- Provide tools and assist in the development of training resources for Stewards staff and program partners.
- Make recommendations to Stewards and partners to address barriers and resource needs.
- Review the components of inclusion programming and staffing compliance, cultural sensitivity, accommodations, and communication training and
- Support outreach plans to recruit future intern and crew YES members.
About Stewards and Conservation Legacy:
Stewards, a program of Conservation Legacy, matches young people across the nation in conservation, climate and land management projects that build capacity, improve access to natural resources, develop and support innovative solutions, develop opportunities for service and economic development, and empower leaders. Stewards’ eastern programs maintain strategic focus of connecting young people to critical conservation internship and job skills training across Appalachia and neighboring communities in Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and DC. Conservation Legacy is a nationwide network of conservation service organizations. Programs focus on service, place-based learning, life skills development, appreciation of diversity, civic responsibility, and career development. Conservation Legacy also provides an opportunity for members to learn about the local environment and issues affecting it and introduces individuals to recreation and resource management careers.
- $580/week living stipend, paid bi-weekly
- $1,678.57 AmeriCorps Segal Education Award upon successful completion of 450- hour service term (award amount varies based on length of commitment and can be used for paying off federal student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college)
- Specific program and employee resource groups to support a workplace culture of belonging including mentor opportunities and affinity spaces.
- Diversity and inclusion training for all employees.
- Flexible work arrangements to enable you to meet the requirements of your role in a way that's right for you.
- Possible student loan forbearance
- Member Assistance Program – 3 free sessions of support with a counseling or work-life balance specialist
- Uniform shirt and other necessary safety equipment is provided
- On-the-job training
- Additional subject-specific trainings may be offered
- Depending upon the academic institution and program, this position may fulfill internship requirements
- Professional development opportunities (mentorship, resume support, alumni listserv, etc.) and exposure to natural resource career paths
*Housing is NOT provided for this position.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 24 (exception for veterans up to age 35)
- US Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency status
- Flexibility, adaptability, and capacity to work in a fluid, changing work
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs and applications, or similar
- Exhibits the ability to effectively work on diverse teams or with a variety of populations, including those underrepresented at our organization and those of BIPOC
- Ability to communicate and collaborate in a variety of virtual and job site settings
- Comfortable working in a field and office
- Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (individuals are eligible if they have not already completed 2 full years of AmeriCorps service, or 4 AmeriCorps service terms, whichever comes first – please contact us if you are unsure of your eligibility)
- Work independently and secure transportation as needed to specific program sites and projects.
- Pass background checks: all offers of positions are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and Federal and/or State criminal background
- Global experience with accessibility/ disability policy
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced team driven and entrepreneurial
- Strong interest in a future career in natural resources, environmental science, parks and recreation, or
- High school diploma or GED
Conservation Legacy is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals and will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to perform essential job functions. Some positions may require periodic overnight travel, non-traditional work hours, the ability to move across varied terrain and use program specific tools and a range of technology on an infrequent or frequent basis. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Ability to safely drive an organizational vehicle may also be required for some positions.
Conservation Legacy is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to the hiring manager.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions. In addition to your resume, please submit a one page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
This position is located at Remote Options Available, Beckley, WV. View the Google Map in full screen.