Historic Trades VISTA - Preservation Maryland
Stewards VISTA: Preservation Maryland
Term of positions is 365 Days; full-time 40 hrs/wk
Conservation Legacy Office
Bi-Weekly Living Allowance of $613.48
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $6,345.00 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by 12/10/2022
Title of Position
Historic Trades VISTA
Please apply at:
Stewards Individual Placements (SIP) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health. SIP, a program of Conservation Legacy, is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA member to serve alongside Preservation Maryland to address a national crisis: the need for skilled labor, the lack of historic trades training, and educational equity.
There is a growing gap in skilled construction labor, exacerbated by the pandemic. This lack of skilled workers is further magnified for the specialized traditional trades needed for historic preservation projects. Despite the growing stock of historic structures in the United States, there are no nationally recognized training standards. The Campaign for Historic Trades seeks to resolve both of these problems through apprenticeship training. Creating historic trades apprenticeships inherently creates national standards and opens up new training avenues and platforms. Simultaneously, this addresses educational equity. These apprenticeships will align with accredited college programs; apprentices can thereby earn degrees in harmony with their job and get paid while doing so. This provides greater access to and affordability of collegiate degrees.
Position Responsibilities will include:
- Help develop related curriculum
- Research, organize, and adapt curriculum from trades training programs
- Help platform these resources and make them 508 compliant
- Engage pipelines for historic trades trainees
- Create outreach material
- Develop national list of training workshops and programs
- Write and submit grant proposals with supervision
- Engage contractors, businesses, and craftspeople to train apprentices
- Assist in the development of a trainer registry
- Assess databases for trades training and labor workforce studies
- Some College experience
- Minimum Age of 18
- S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Youth Development
- General Skills
- Fundraising/Grant writing
- Team work
- A desire to learn all of these skills
- Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $6,345.00 (pre-tax).
- Living Allowance of $627.48 Bi-weekly
- $375 in Professional Development
- Relocation Allowance
- Health Coverage Available
- Childcare assistance if eligible
How to Apply
Apply on-line at:
For More Information Contact:
Gwennan Richmond- Stewards Program Coordinator
For additional positions open from Stewards, please follow this link: https://stewardslegacy.org/open-positions.
Stewards Individual Placements Program does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
This position is located in Baltimore, MD. View the Google Map in full screen.