Security Center Operator - Part Time
Security Center Operator – Part Time
Van Andel Institute began with a vision: to improve human health.
Founded by the Van Andel family in 1996 in downtown Grand Rapids, Mich., the Institute is now home to more than 400 scientists, educators, and support staff each one deeply connected to the work we do and driven by an urgent desire to make a difference.
Every day, VAI scientists collaborate at the forefront of fundamental and translational science in pursuit of breakthrough treatment strategies for cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases. With a growing reputation as a worldwide hub for exceptional basic research, we engage the world’s brightest minds to leverage our unique catalytic collaborative approach to translate our discoveries through partnerships with academia, clinical, industry and philanthropic collaborators. We operate without walls — integrating diverse perspectives and our shared values, with the aim of orchestrating joint programs to accelerate the connection between discovery and impact.
Van Andel Institute’s Security Department is seeking to hire a part-time Security Center Operator.
Van Andel Institute’s Security Department supports the Van Andel Institute’s Scientific and Educational mission by protecting the assets of the Institute: people, property, and information through consistent quality service 24 hours a day - 365 days a year.
As a Security Center Operator, you will:
- Provide assistance and clarification to employees, visitors and customers regarding security services as well as procedures, rules and regulations.
- Run a Security Operation Center Monitoring Security, Fire, and Building control systems.
- Dispatch and coordinate responses to alarms, incidents and emergencies and send incident notifications in real time.
- Be cross trained to support the front desk operations and respond to calls for service as assigned.
To join our team, you will need:
- Associate degree or equivalent preferred with 2+ years of customer-facing experience in retail, hospitality, insurance, healthcare, or related industries.
- Critical thinking skills
- Curiosity/desire to learn
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Flexibility to support the team
This is a part time (approx. 20 hours per week) position with weekend work included. Typical needs:
- 1stshift 0800-1600
- 2ndshift 1600-0000
- Weekends: 1200-0000.
- Flexibility to work 3rdshift hours 0000-0800 M-F or 0000-1200 on weekends is a bonus
The team provides services 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and 52 weeks/year (weekends and holidays included). Work shifts are normally 8 hours in duration but may be extended in the event of an emergency, personnel shortage, workload, or work-in-progress. Availability and willingness to be flexible with scheduling is preferred.
POSITION STATUS AND PAY:
- The hourly rate for this position will be commensurate with education, relevant work experience, and other qualifications, however, we are targeting $17-$20 per hour.
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parking (hard to find in downtown Grand Rapids)
- Many other perks (café, gym)
- To be part of an organization which serves as a guiding light of hope and bring about scientific discoveries that will benefit future generations.
These are challenging times, and we are up the challenge. Are you?
We would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your application. HOW TO APPLY: https://bit.ly/3iBgkWm
In addition to your resume, provide us a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how your experiences align to our opportunity.
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Natalie Hartford at firstname.lastname@example.org
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.