Postdoctoral Fellow - DNA Structure with Genome Stability and Epigenetics - Szabo Lab
Postdoctoral Fellow - Laboratory of Piroska Szabo
Molecular Mechanisms that Connect DNA Structure with Genome Stability and Epigenetics
NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Piroska E Szabó in the Department of Epigenetics at the Van Andel Institute (VAI) to characterize the novel biological process of remodeling Z-DNA in the mammalian germ line as published in Nature Cell Biology. The Szabó lab uses molecular biology, biochemistry, epigenomics, cell biology, and mouse genetics to understand how DNA structure influences DNA methylation and genome integrity, and how the ZBTB43 protein works in this process.
Why choose the Szabó Lab?
- To explore the molecular mechanisms that connect DNA structure with genome stability and epigenetics.
- To receive training in state-of-the-art technologies.
- To gain experience in a highly interdisciplinary environment that allows close interaction across Departments and Core Facilities at VAI.
- To be part of the Department of Epigenetics, which includes a group of collaborative scientists seeking to understand the mechanisms and consequences of epigenetic changes on development and diseases.
- A recent Ph.D. graduate with demonstrated experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Epigenetics, Cell Biology, or Mouse Genetics is required.
- Experience in Microscopy and Bioinformatics (analysis of NGS data) is preferred.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A curious scientist who thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research questions
- A collaborative team player who happily shares knowledge and expertise with members of the lab
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of a project.
- A detail-oriented researcher who also keeps a clear grasp of the big picture
- A researcher with excellent organization skills and scientific communication skills
While this project is funded, an integral part of postdoctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire.
Why join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?
Postdoctoral fellows are a crucial part of Van Andel Institute’s efforts to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations. Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary. This salary is determined based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $57,200 and up to a maximum of $61,360. Applicants with exceptional qualifications may be considered for other salary scales.
Along with the competitive salary, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI has a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which provides a comprehensive professional development program.
The Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. A remarkable combination of a cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, Grand Rapids is known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community. It’s fun affordable and family-friendly.
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods and natural areas.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and committed people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today.
We ask you to submit:
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Szabó Lab Research.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details (email and phone number).
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr@vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
VAI is committed to achieving excellence through increasing diversity. We actively encourage applications from women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.
Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.