100% to Research, Discovery & Hope®
So many of us have had personal experience with the devastation diseases such as cancer and Parkinson’s bring to individuals, to families and to hope itself. Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute located in the heart of Grand Rapids, MI’s vibrant Medical Mile, mission is to find what causes disease and to translating those discoveries into therapeutic solutions that conquer illness and enhance lives. At VAI, every dollar, donated or raised, goes directly to our medical research and science education teams.
VAI is currently seeking to hire a full-time Database Administrator.
As a key member of Van Andel Institute’s Philanthropy Team, the Database Administrator will manage all duties related to donor records and information stored within the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and digital engagement platforms. This position will partner with the Philanthropy Team (Individual Giving and Events & Corporate Giving) to ensure that relevant information is captured and assist in building and managing an overall stewardship plan.
Your Key Responsibilities in this role will include the following:
- Under the direction of the Donor Relations Manager, manage the donor database ensuring accuracy and consistency as it relates to financial, biographical and philanthropic information while maintaining a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Generate and organize queries, reports, and lists to analyze donor data.
- Create, maintain, and analyze philanthropy dashboard reports.
- Work with Events and Corporate Giving to ensure all event information and transactions are captured from event sponsors, donors and attendees through the donor database and third-party payment platforms.
- Collaborate with Finance to ensure that all transactions are captured in donor database and reconciled.
- Produce gift acknowledgement letters within 24-48 hours of receipt and update acknowledgment letters/processes as needed.
- Work with the Philanthropy Department to conduct donor prospect research and connect gift and donor information to relevant team members.
- Organize wealth screening on database every 3-5 years using wealth engine or other tools.
- Act as staff liaison for all database and digital engagement platforms with both company representatives and internal users.
- Implement routine performance analysis, troubleshooting of issues, proactive tuning, training and maintenance of the database and engagement systems.
- Analyze department needs and assist in eliminating redundancy and improve effectiveness of operations.
- Establish policies, document, and maintain operational procedures for database and digital engagement platforms.
- Serve as the point person for the email content management system including maintaining and updating records, importing email lists, and working with Communications team to send emails.
- Maintain an active awareness of philanthropy and donor relations goals and objectives and how they relate to the database.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
What you will like most about working in the Philanthropy Department:
- Your work will make a difference in the future of human health and science education!
- You will be surrounded by driven, hard working professionals.
- You will be encouraged to take risks and fail.
- New opportunities and challenges are always arising.
- The Institute and department offer several fun, teambuilding events, creating a community.
- The opportunity to learn new perspectives and share yours in a diverse, collaborative environment.
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Excels at working in a fast-paced environment, meeting concurrent deadlines and effectively managing time and priorities
- Must be proactive and self-motivated, organized, and demonstrate strong attention to detail with an ability to think critically and problem solve
- Ability to multi-task with a high degree of focus on quality control and confidential information
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team setting with people at all levels
- Strong sense of initiative and the ability to complete projects with minimal supervision
- High level of customer service and responsiveness, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced reasoning abilities to effectively understand the research needs and solutions for special projects and unique requests.
- Basic project management skills, including ability to create an implementation/roll-out plan, identify and track milestones, track and manage deliverables.
To be a successful member of our team, we will measure you on the following areas:
- Relationship building
- Strong technical skills
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail
- Collaborative Team Player
- Customer Satisfaction
The skills you will be required to have in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in business-related field degree preferred with three or more years of experience in research analytics, philanthropy database management or related field.
- Previous experience working with Blackbaud products. preferred including prospect research and constituent databases.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Experience with a large database, data analysis or strategic thinking environment, information databases and proficiency using search techniques related to research
- Ability and willingness to work some evening and weekend hours
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
How to Apply
If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! In addition to your resume, provide a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals.
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Natalie Rinaldi at Natalie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.