Business Intelligence Analyst I
Business Intelligence Analyst I
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
VAI is currently hiring a full-time Business Intelligence Analyst I. In this position, you will streamline and improve internal and external reporting, influence the design of BI reporting requirements for Finance, Research, and other groups, and support the transition from static report formats to dynamic reporting. Drive processes and technology optimization and will work closely with key stakeholders to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support solutions to deliver essential information to meet their information needs and support management decisions.
- Translate data into information/knowledge and uncover and build understanding of how that information/knowledge supports and enables key business processes. Communicate those insights for maximum business impact.
- Provide data that is relevant, accurate and reliable, and help to ensure that information is easily available for direct consumption by users or for integration with other systems.
- Support needs for data analytics, business intelligence, and related metrics to inform decision-making, planning, and continuous improvement.
- Develop, build and maintain the reporting schema (i.e. MicroStrategy) and architecture for multiple data sources.
- Manage analytics reporting administration (i.e. MicroStrategy) including security, user permissions and data optimization settings.
- Train and educate users on dashboard creation and business analytics (i.e. MicroStrategy).
- Identify data sources for reporting requirements and lead logical data mapping focusing on data integrity and quality.
- Support information requests from inception to delivery, translating client requirements into appropriate reporting objects that tell a story with data including analytic scorecards, dashboards, and reports.
- Integrate information from a variety of data warehouse systems and synthesize to create self-service resources that enable users to explore the data and answer questions independently.
- Develop business intelligence and data modelling standards and guidelines.
- Performance of all other duties assigned.
You should possess the following characteristics/traits:
- Customer service focused
- A deep desire to troubleshoot using logic
- Outgoing personality with the ability to interface with team members and users from across the Institute
- Strong team player with a sense of urgency and ability to cope well under pressure
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Analytics or the equivalent required, work experience may substitute for a bachelor's degree
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience with MicroStrategy that includes schema build and the development of reports, documents, and dossiers
- Solid data querying and visualization skills
- Strong Analytic skills and comfortable extracting insights from large data sets
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and maintain a positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interface positively with a variety of individuals internally and externally
- Strong organizational skills
Compensation and Benefits
All full-time employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective day one! The competitive salary you can expect as a Business Intelligence Analyst I is based on your experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply please submit:
- Online Application
- Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals.
- Names and contact information for 3 professional references
This position will be open until filled. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Natalie Rinaldi at email@example.com.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second-largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.