Postdoctoral Fellow - Epigenetics/RNA Biology
Postdoctoral Fellow in Epigenetics/RNA Biology
Van Andel Institute’s (VAI) Laboratory of Yvonne Fondufe-Mittendorf, Ph.D. currently has a position available for a Postdoctoral Fellow to join her lab and carry out an independent project on how chromatin structure regulates epigenetic and epitranscriptomics machinery in response to normal growth and environmental cues.
This postdoctoral fellow position will be for a 1-year appointment with the possibility of renewal on a yearly basis.
Why choose the Fondufe-Mittendorf Laboratory?
- The lab investigates the mechanisms by which chromatin and the epigenome are modulated during normal growth and in response to environmental cues.
- She and her groundbreaking research have been highlighted by American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, PLoS One Everyone, Onclive and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences’ Environmental Factor.
- She has earned multiple awards for her research and mentorship, including the National Institute of Health’s IDeA Thomas Maciag Award, University of Kentucky Research Professorship and recognition from University of Kentucky’s Chellgreen Center.
- Fondufe-Mittendorf is a great mentor. She has a strong track record in preparing trainees for a successful career in both academia and industry. Examples include assisting graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in prestigious fellowship/grant awards and preparing postdoctoral fellows for faculty roles at R1 universities.
- The Fondufe-Mittendorf Lab is within the Department of Epigenetics, which includes a groups of highly collaborative scientists seeking to understand how epigenetic changes may either protect ore predispose individuals to complex diseases.
- A Ph.D. graduate with a strong background in cell biology, biochemistry or a related field in the basic sciences
- Applicants should have a strong background in biochemistry, RNA/chromatin biology and bioinformatics and a background in epigenomics is preferred.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing techniques are a strong plus.
- A “team” focused scientist
- A self-motivated and driven individual who possesses a strong interest in biochemistry/toxicology/epigenomics/RNA biology, with a proven publication record.
- Must be able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher who thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members and has an interest in helping junior lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Why join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?
Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary beginning at $70,000.
Learn more about VAI's dedication to investing in postdoctoral trainees and the recently announced salary increase here.
Postdoctoral fellows are a crucial part of Van Andel Institute’s efforts to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations.
Along with the competitive salary, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI has a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which provides a comprehensive professional development program.
The Institute is located in fun, affordable and family-friendly Grand Rapids, MI. Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers.
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today by completing the following:
- Email your curriculum vitae and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “postdoc”.
- Apply through VAI’s online application system.
If you have questions about the application process or working at VAI you are welcome to email Eric Miller, Director of Talent Acquisition & Employee Engagement at email@example.com.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
VAI is committed to achieving excellence through increasing diversity. We actively encourage applications from women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.
Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.