Research Technician - Pathology and Biorespository Core
Research Technician – Pathology and Biorepository Core
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The Institute’s Pathology and Biorepository Core (PBC) serves as the coordinating facility for the prospective collection of biological specimens and as a clearinghouse for the processing, storage, and isolation of analytes to fuel biomedical discovery at VAI and partnering institutions. The PBC also conducts scientific evidence-based practices to advance the field of biospecimen science.
The PBC at VAI is working with the National Cancer Institute as the biobank for the Cancer Moonshot project. To support this project, we are seeking a full-time Research Technician with availability to work Saturdays.
This Research Technician will assist senior personnel with experiments and lab operations and will be expected to participate actively in experimental planning and execution, as well as data analysis and presentation. This will include:
- Fractionate and cryopreserve human blood and bone marrow specimens
- Perform nucleic acid isolations from a wide range of sample types, including mammalian cells, fresh tissue, FFPE tissue, frozen tissue
- Use and maintain automated equipment and related software
- Prepare biological and chemical reagents and solutions
- Use databases and spreadsheets to input and maintain large amounts of data
- Conduct and record all laboratory activities in accordance with the laboratory quality management program
- Learn new biological assays and apply them to research questions
- Inventory laboratory supplies and equipment and prepare requisitions for approval
- Perform other laboratory duties as requested
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences
- 2 – 5 years of hands on bench experience preferred
- A self-driven and hard-working individual who has a strong curiosity about basic science and its clinical application
- A highly organized multi-tasker who pays attention to detail and values research integrity
- A collegial team member with the ability to interact effectively and cordially with colleagues and collaborators
This is a full-time position working Tuesday – Saturday.
If you possess the qualifications, attributes, Saturday availability, and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three references.
Please contact Natalie Rinaldi (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol-free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. This is a 7-panel drug screen and it includes testing for Marijuana, Cocaine, Amphetamines, Opiates, PCP, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.