Postdoctoral Fellow in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Biology and Wnt Signaling - Grainger Lab (multiple positions)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Biology and Wnt Signaling | Van Andel Institute (Multiple Positions)
Multiple postdoctoral positions are available in the laboratory of Dr. Stephanie Grainger in the Department of Cell Biology in the Van Andel Institute (VAI). Dr. Grainger’s research focuses on the molecular mechanisms underlying Wnt signaling, hematopoietic stem cell biology and cancer. The lab is primarily interested in the Wnt signaling mechanisms governing how blood stem cells are made and maintained, with the ultimate goals of targeted cancer therapeutics and deriving blood stem cells in vitro.
The postdoctoral researcher will explore the effects of Wnt signaling on hematopoietic stem cell development and maintenance. They will use a combination of zebrafish and cell culture models to decipher how Wnt signals are transduced through the cell, and how these signaling events lead to hematopoietic stem cell identity and proliferation. Dr. Grainger is open to discussions on your preferred funded project in the lab, and you will be given the opportunity to develop an independent line of research if desired.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be trained with both traditional and state-of-the-art technologies and will work in a highly interdisciplinary environment that allows close interaction with the growing research community at the Van Andel Institute (VAI). VAI is a leading independent non-profit biomedical life sciences research and education facility. The Institute is home to more than 200 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe. The department provides a stimulating multidisciplinary environment for state-of-the-art research to understand the intricate mechanics of cell biology and their implications for human health.
- A Ph.D. graduate with experience in the fields of cell biology, developmental biology and/or zebrafish research (or equivalent).
- Experience in some of the following skills: zebrafish work, cell culture (pluripotent stem cells would be an asset), molecular biology techniques, stem cell biology.
- Ability to coordinate and independently carry out a research project and present the outcome in a scientific presentation.
- Experience with confocal microscopy is a plus.
- Bioinformatics experience (e.g. analysis of NGS data) is a plus.
- A track record of first author publication(s).
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members and has an interest in providing mentorship to junior lab members.
- A self-motivated individual who thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems.
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
This list will change as projects evolve and you should be open-minded to learn new things.
Why join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?
Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary beginning at $70,000.
Learn more about VAI's dedication to investing in postdoctoral trainees and the recently announced salary increase here.
Postdoctoral fellows are a crucial part of Van Andel Institute’s efforts to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations.
Along with the competitive salary, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI has a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which provides a comprehensive professional development program.
HOW TO APPLY https://bit.ly/3mKnGsx
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and committed people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today.
We ask you to submit:
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Grainger Lab Research.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr@vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
At Van Andel Institute, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. As a condition of employment at Van Andel Institute, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live." Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods. With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.