Optical Imaging Analyst
Optical Imaging Analyst
Van Andel Institute (VAI), a nonprofit biomedical research and science education institute is seeking to hire an Optical Imaging Analyst within our Optical Imaging Core. The Optical Imaging Core (OIC) provides imaging services for VAI and collaborating institutions. Its goal is to serve the VAI community with state-of-the-art imaging resources to address a broad variety of research questions, as well as offering the expertise to train researchers to use these resources effectively.
As an Optical Imaging Analyst on our team you will provide technical expertise and assist researchers to accomplish their goals through basic and advanced bioimage analysis. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting and training OIC users on a variety of image analysis tasks, including but not limited to image processing pipelines, machine learning approaches, bespoke programs, and protocols for reproducible, unbiased image-based assays. You will be the resident expert in image analysis and will work directly with PIs and researchers to help design and optimize imaging experiments for appropriate downstream analyses.
Your key areas of responsibilities will include:
- Developing, performing and teaching basic and advanced image analysis: image processing pipelines, algorithms, bespoke programs, and protocols for reproducible unbiased image-based assays
- Scaling up image processing protocols to increase throughput and batch processing
- Preparing written statements of work, action plans, and progress reports
- Training, education and support for image analysis related topics
What you will like the most about working in the Optical Imaging Core:
- You will be working with imaging data collected on state-of-the-art imaging technology
- Your efforts will contribute to high-level research in diverse scientific fields
- You will have the opportunity to collaborate with bioinformaticians and biostatisticians
The skills you will be required to have in this role:
- Master’s degree with PhD preferred (computer science, biology, microbiology, biochemistry or other related area of study)
- Minimum of 3+ years of applied experience with bioimage analysis techniques
- Ability to effectively communicate in-person and remotely
- Manage a diverse set of obligations on a daily basis with rapidly changing demands and priorities
- Self-paced with strong initiative
You will have the opportunity to gain:
- Additional knowledge of file types from specific OIC instruments
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
All fulltime employees of Van Andel Institute are eligible for benefits, effective Day One! The salary you can expect in this Optical Imaging Analyst role is based on your experience and skills.
YOUR NEXT STEPS!
If you are a person who has demonstrated success in these areas, we would love to have a conversation with you! The first step in beginning this conversation is starting your application by visiting: https://bit.ly/35mpu2B
- Online Application
- Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals
- 3 References (names, how you know them, email and phone number) – Please note: we will not reach out to your references without informing you first
If you have any difficulty uploading your application, or any questions, please email Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
All offers of employment are subject to background checks and drug screens prior to start date.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second-largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.