Scientific Grant Writer
Scientific Grant Writer
The Van Andel Institute (VAI) is an independent and world-class biomedical research institute dedicated to determining the fundamental molecular origins of disease and translating those findings into effective therapies. VAI is home to more than 300 scientists and staff that work in on-site laboratories and collaborative partnerships that span the globe. VAI is organized into five departments, one of which is the Department of Cell Biology (DCB).
The DCB is actively seeking a talented Scientific Grant Writer to support our faculty members in preparing, writing and submitting grant applications for extramural funding opportunities. In addition, assistance with the submission of scientific manuscripts would also be associated with this position.
In particular, you will:
- Search for and identify potential funding sources to support the lab’s research.
- Writing/editing high-quality grant proposals for submission to a variety of funding institutions.
- Contribute to the scientific knowledge and analytical skills in the preparation of grant proposals, manuscripts, and protocols.
- Provide full life cycle editing and writing support for grant submissions, including managing timelines and project milestones, collecting figures, illustrations, and information from various sources, editing documents and coordinating with multiple stakeholders involved in the submission.
- Steer research projects and acquisition of preliminary data for individual and group efforts.
- Work closely with the Sponsored Research Office to compile and submit grant applications in a timely manner.
What traits and characteristics are expected of you?
- Highly motivated, ambitious, possess strong planning and organizational skills and brings innovation/creative thinking about science.
- A strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Strong skills and enjoyment in scientific writing.
Realistically you would possess a Ph.D., have expertise in Molecular and Cell Biology, have completed postdoctoral training experience, and possesses a strong record of successful grant writing proposals. We will consider a Master’s degree with broad and in-depth experience in technical writing.
In addition, you should also possess:
- Ideally 3 -5 years of experience in grant writing proposals and peer-reviewed publications. This includes strong writing, editing, and preparing high-quality written scientific documents.
- Experience in submitting grant proposals to National Institutes of Health, Department of Defense, and other federal, non-profit, and/or private funding agencies and organizations.
We are also open to you working both on-site and a remote work schedule, however, the person must have a residence in the State of Michigan.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and driven people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today by submitting the following materials:
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and additional qualifications
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 references along with their contact details.
Please contact Eric Miller (email@example.com) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
All offers of employment are subject to background checks and drug screens prior to the start date.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, the second-largest city in Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked 19th in "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.