Vivarium Training Coordinator
Vivarium Training Coordinator
Van Andel Institute (VAI), a leading independent biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a full-time Vivarium Training Coordinator in our Vivarium to ensure VAI is able to continue to provide excellent animal support for our research studies. VAI is dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
As a Vivarium Training Coordinator, you will be responsible for managing training activities, assessments and documentation for employees and contract personnel regarding department equipment and protocols Your primary duties will include:
- Assisting with developing and maintaining vivarium training content, lab exercises, presentations and accompanying materials.
- Training research staff on use and services of the vivarium on a regular basis.
- Assist with acclimating new employees through orientation and training sessions.
- Assist with development, training and recording of new animal procedure protocols.
- Assist with developing quality control measures not already in place.
In this role, you will also be expected to:
- Perform animal care functions and technical services (approximately 25% of time).
- Work with potentially hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials,
- Adhere to safety policies and procedures and inform supervisor of potential safety problems.
- Work in a shower-in facility,
- Wear protective gear and equipment as needed.
We are looking for a person who has the following traits and characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in biology or related field
- AALAS LAT certification or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience in research vivarium facilities
- Extensive experience with mouse and rat procedures (handling, injections, tumor measurements, surgeries, etc).
- Training or supervisory experience
- A strong “stage presence” and ability to manage a classroom of adult learners.
- A strong commitment to building and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Self-sufficient and self-starter with proven success taking ownership of training projects.
If you possess these attributes and desire to help us drive science from the bench to the clinic; while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package; we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
How to Apply: https://bit.ly/2PPb6vX
- Online application
- Cover Letter indicating why you are interested in this position and how your experience exhibits your qualifications for this role.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
This position will be open until filled. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.