Postdoctoral Fellow - Laird Laboratory - Epigenetics in Cancer
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe. Van Andel Institute was designed by famed architect Rafael Viñoly, is LEED certified at the Platinum level and features state of the art research facilities. Our Core Technologies and Services offer a comprehensive range of advanced technologies and expertise to support and enhance research at the Institute and at collaborating organizations.
The Laird Laboratory focuses on the role of epigenetics in cancer, combining mechanistic studies in model systems, analysis of human cancer tissues, advanced technology development, and epigenomic data analysis.
A major focus of this position will be to investigate cellular epigenetic heterogeneity as a predeterminant of malignant transformation potential using single cell epigenomics in mouse and human model systems. This position will include an element of technology development and epigenomic data analysis.
This postdoctoral position is available immediately for a motivated scientist who meets the qualifications and description outlined below.
- Hold a Ph.D. in an applicable field and have experience and publications in the fields of molecular biology, cancer genomics, and/or mouse genetics.
- An ideal candidate will have experience with various molecular biology techniques (i.e., DNA/RNA work, PCR, qPCR, Western blot), cell culture and/or mouse models.
- Must provide the names of three individuals who can provide recommendations and present a scientific seminar describing his or her previous research.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A “team” focused scientist
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of the project
- A detail-oriented researcher who thinks critically to effectively design experiments and solve complex research problems
- A strong ability to take initiative and work independently
- A collaborative, hands-on researcher who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members and has an interest in helping junior lab members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An interest in or experience with bioinformatics is not required but is preferred.
Job Functions: Van Andel Institute (VAI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member.
While this project is currently funded, an integral part of postdoctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving an external fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI and comes with a cash incentive!
Position Status and Salary: Full-time, non-exempt position. Salary determined based on PhD/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $55,000 and increases annually with satisfactory performance. Applicants with exceptional qualifications may be considered for salaries above the minimum.
VAI provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers (https://vari.vai.org/postdoctoral/). Postdoc positions are to support promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member. VAI’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs provides comprehensive career and professional development resources to postdocs.
Postdoctoral Fellows at VAI are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary along with VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
Application Process: https://bit.ly/3g3xIDF
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and address of three references in the online application.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.