Research Technician – Lempradl Lab
Research Technician – Lempradl Lab
Van Andel Institute (VAI) is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
The Lempradl Lab is seeking to hire a full-time Research Technician. The lab focuses on non-genetic inheritance of nutritional states.
- Non-genetic inheritance: Enhance our understanding of molecular mechanisms of phenotype transmission from parent to offspring
- Epigenetics and metabolism: Studying the interplay of epigenetics and metabolism, with a focus on the heritable effects of normal phenotypes and disease
- Intergenerational toxicology: systematically map the heritable consequences of parental exposure to environmental toxins.
- Preventative measures: finding strategies to prevent transmission of such phenotypes to the next generation.
In this role as a Research Technician, you will be instrumental in building up the lab at Van Andel Research Institute (VARI). In addition to assisting with setting up the lab, you will be assisting in research activities and contribute by performing a variety of techniques, including Drosophila phenotyping, molecular biology, imaging, genetics and biochemistry.
- General lab organization.
- Drosophila phenotyping assays, genetic crosses, and stock maintenance.
- Molecular biology approaches working with DNA, RNA, and proteins.
- Cell biological approaches including immunohistochemistry of Drosophila embryos.
- Imaging of Drosophila embryos and tissues using confocal microscopy.
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Biology, Biochemistry or related science.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques and Drosophila maintenance highly preferred.
- Ability to record and manage data files and coordinate assignments on a day-to-day basis.
This list will change as projects evolve and you should be open-minded to learn new things.
In addition, superior verbal and written communication and routine computer skills (PC/Mac) are necessary. Participation in lab meetings and presentation of data will be mandatory. The ideal candidate will be multitasking and possess superior organizational and time management skills, and an ability to interact with all levels of staff.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and driven people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today! http://bit.ly/2Pp1ffo
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Lempradl Lab Research.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
This position will be open until filled. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.