Van Andel Institute for research is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
Van Andel Institute’s Maintenance Department is seeking to hire a full-time MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN II. The Mission of the Facilities Department is to create and maintain a “Best in Class” facility that exceeds customer expectations. This is accomplished by providing a clean, comfortable, functional working environment where employees can achieve their professional goals and focus on the work at hand.
AS A MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN YOU WILL:
- Assist skilled trades workers (Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC etc.) in all areas of maintenance and facilities needs within VAI
- Perform maintenance activities on Institute grounds including mowing, trimming, weeding, snow removal, salting, etc.
- Provide elementary maintenance services, i.e., changing light bulbs, hanging pictures, unclogging drains, etc.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas
- Document all labor hours, corrective/preventative maintenance activities, and hardware associate with the activities in our computer software system
- Provide maintenance services to the wide array of departments at VAI, including operations, education and scientific research.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
DESCRIPTION OF THE IDEAL MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN:
- A High School Diploma/GED
- 3-5 years of general maintenance experience (commercial preferred - willing to train those with residential experience)
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Customer service skills with a strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated with problem solving skills
- An understanding of personal computer operations and applications
- The ability to distinguish colors, hot, cold, range of temperature, and detect/distinguish odors
- The ability to work occasional weekends and on-call
POSITION STATUS AND SALARY
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The hourly rate for this position will be commensurate with relevant work experience and other qualifications. This position is also eligible for our highly generous compensation package.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess the qualifications and attributes for this position, we welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today!
To apply please submit:http://bit.ly/3d3rSyG
- Online application
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references
This position will be open until filled. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.