Senior Campus Minister for Catholic Ministry 998051
The Dorothy Day Center for Faith and Justice (CFJ) is seeking talented and caring colleagues to support students through worship, retreats, pastoral care, service, and immersion experiences, sharing in our mission as a Jesuit Catholic higher educational institution. The CFJ, Xavier’s Campus Ministry, helps students recognize meaning, discover purpose and work for a better world. We are looking for individuals who are ready to work as part of a dynamic team. Campus ministers have constant and direct contact with our students, creating an exciting and energizing work environment. This position will serve in a pastoral capacity primarily to Xavier’s Catholic student community and will be responsible for the coordination and execution of Ignatian based retreats, oversight of Catholic student programming and faith sharing groups.
The ideal candidate
- Can provide direct support to students at Xavier through pastoral care, spiritual direction, mentoring, and faith-related programming.
- Can work to expand programming for Catholic students on campus, and provide oversight and coordination of Catholic student programming.
- Can support students from diverse backgrounds and identities (racial, religious, LGBTQ+)
- Can serve as a campus liaison to local faith communities in the Jesuit and Catholic networks, including the Cincinnati Jesuit Family and Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
- Can develop, lead, and support service initiatives that help students integrate faith and justice.
- Can lead Ignatian based retreats, facilitate the center’s small group program and is comfortable leading discussions about faith and spirituality.
- Can support the Center’s execution of university-wide events and liturgies
- Can relate well to young adults and enjoys dynamic group settings.
- Can contribute to the goals and purpose of the Division of Mission and Ministry not outlined above, such as serving on university committees, supporting diversity and inclusion across the campus, and promoting the Jesuit, Catholic mission of the university, etc.
- Ability to create, direct and collaborate on programs that align with the Division of Mission and Ministry goals.
- Pastoral capacities to support the spiritual growth of students, primarily those who are Catholic
- Multicultural competency, including group facilitation of culturally, racially and religiously diverse people.
- A pastoral, interpersonal style that relates well to and connects with the undergraduate students.
- An understanding of Jesuit Catholic identity, including Ignatian spirituality and liturgy.
- Comfort with technology, especially digital promotion and social media
- Excellent written and oral communication
Master’s degree in relevant discipline (i.e., theology, religion, spirituality, ministry) or an equivalent combination of education and experiences. Exceptional candidates with a bachelor’s degree who have not yet completed a master’s degree can be considered for a “Campus Minister” position (as opposed to “Senior Campus Minister”)
To ensure consideration, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter that includes a statement on their commitment to diversity equity and inclusion, resume, and the names and contact information of two professional references on Xavier University's website. The review of applications will begin on January 19th, 2024 and remain open until the position is filled.
In light of the strong commitment to diversity, Xavier seeks a broad spectrum of candidates for this position that includes women and minorities. Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.