Adult Services Library Associate (full-time)
LIBRARY LOCATION: Old Worthington Library
DESIGNATED POSITION HOURS: 37 hours per week
HOURLY RATE: $19.57
- Sunday (every 3rd): 12:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. (after Labor Day)
- Monday: 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.*
- Tuesday: 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.*
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Either a Friday or Saturday each week (based on a rotating schedule): 9:15 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.**
- *Monday/Tuesday schedule will be 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. after Labor Day
- **Friday/Saturday schedule will be 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. after Labor Day
We love superheroes, honeybees and BuzzFeed DIY videos. Why? They help people. If you enjoy helping people, too, we’d like to work with you! As a library associate, you’ll be part of a hard-working, fun-loving group that jokes about our unofficial motto: “Teamwork makes the dream work!” It’s in this team environment that you’ll play a vital role in shaping innovative services. Your flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm are just what we need to provide the highest level of customer service. This includes answering reference questions, sharing recommendations and developing programs and services. Our award-winning library has been an important part of the community since its founding in 1803, and we’re proud to combine traditional library services with the innovative. What do we offer? Lots of food and fun, plus a supportive culture that includes development opportunities and team-based projects. Join us as we work together to be the library our patrons deserve!
In A Nutshell
Under general supervision, the Library Associate assists patrons in locating library materials using resources in various formats, and performs related duties.
The Nitty Gritty
- Proactively provides customer service
- Interviews, researches, and answers questions from patrons
- Recommends materials based on patrons' interests
- Supports Librarians in developing and maintaining the collection, as directed
- Maintains periodical collections, including associated paperwork, tracking claims, routing, filing, labeling, stamping and weeding out-of-date materials, as assigned
- Assists patrons with basic troubleshooting of common software products, operating systems, browsers and other technologies associated with library services (including handheld devices, e-readers, laptops tablets, etc.
- Assists with planning and coordination of library programs and special events, as assigned
- Performs duties of Homebound Service Associate, Homework Help Center Associate, Programming Specialist and Circulation Assistant, as needed
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to arrange items in alphanumeric and/or subject order
- Superior working knowledge of traditional and electronic resources including web sites and databases; excellent online searching skills
- Ability to deliver programs and speak before groups
- Ability to retain and follow circulation policies and procedures
- Ability to pass alphanumeric sorting test
- Ability to pass computer skills test
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of one (1) year of customer service experience
This position is located in Worthington, OH. View the Google Map in full screen.