Director of Resource Development, Child Protection and Education
World Vision is hiring a Director of Resource Development to serve on the Child Protection and Education Team within the Resource Development Division of World Vision USA.
At a Glance
Role: Director of Child Protection and Education Resource Development Team
Location: Washington, D.C. USA preferred; remote possible.
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Child Protection and Education Resource Development
Required experience: Master's degree in International Development or related field or equivalent work experience (twelve ). Requires 8-10 years of relevant professional work experience in International Relieve and Development, Program Management, business development or related area. Must have strong relational and networking skills, demonstrated ability to supervise teams, and significant experience engaging with donor and fundraisers.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
Travel: Up to 30% of time both in development and fragile contexts.
World Vision is looking for a Director of Child Protection and Education Resource Development Team to support our rapid growth in the international development space. This position will support the US-based Business Development and World Vision National Offices overseas, to identify new opportunities among public sources of funding. The position will manage a team in the effective accomplishment of the following:
- Lead a team of business development managers to position and develop innovative concepts and proposals for public and private donors, including USG, major foundations, and individual donors.
- Collaborate with other teams to support acquisition, program management and technical branding work based on cross-functional business and annual work plans.
- Support senior leaders to ensure strategic leadership, guidance and support positioning, high quality proposal development, securing new awards and successful start-up of these awards in the sector.
- Develop with Associate Vice President of CPE and sector team colleagues a Sector Business Plan, team annual business plans, and while ensuring field integration and alignment to guide the acquisition of increased public, foundation, corporate and individual donor contributions for programming interventions.
- Ensure innovative and effective technical designs to guarantee programs bring about measurable improvements in addressing poverty among target populations.
- Ensure support for technical branding in collaboration with program managers and sector technical advisors to improve awareness of World Vision’s work and increase competitiveness of WVUS across all donor segments.; and
- Help carry out our Christian organization's mission and strategy. Candidates must be in agreement with and help to enhance World Vision’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Keep Christ central in individual and corporate life. Actively participate in and contribute to the spiritual disciplines of the organization (Christian conduct, devotions, chapel, prayer, worship); incorporate WV Core Values into decisions within scope of role.
- Leadership / Management:
- Contribute to establishing and maintain a team culture, staffing, standards and procedures that demonstrate mutual understanding of both donor and field-facing requirements.
- Establish leadership and personal credibility and implement and maintain a clearly understood chain of authority and accountability. Encourage professional development and recognize results.
- Recommend staffing actions – hiring, discipline, training, and salary increases and promotions -- for direct and indirect reports, to the Senior Director.
- Analyze and recommend changes for Associate Vice President of CPE’s consideration to team staffing levels for direct reports based on changes in opportunities, donor strategies, portfolio size, project or grant complexity, partner/consortia complexity, accountability standards, revenue to cost ratios, industry benchmarks and promising practices, technology changes, etc.
- Develop and disseminate team level procedures, operational processes and business tools that promote mission accomplishment and improve/maintain efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Manage the work of direct reports, temporary employees and consultants as necessary
- Coordinate with other Resource Development Unit and International Program Group teams to ensure cross functional planning and deliverables, as well as harmonized business processes and outcome metrics, etc.
- Planning and Proposal Development
- Coordinate with the Associate Vice President of CPE to lead, monitor and motivate team members to develop a Sector Business Plan, annual work plans and establish performance goals promoting optimal performance.
- Responsible for public and major foundation revenue drivers and annual revenue goals and related utilization of cash match and indirect cost recovery.
- Ensure in coordination with the Associate Vice President of CPE on all business planning processes are implemented and produce quality cross-functional plans that guarantee integrated action lines with Program Quality and Impact sector teams, technical branding team, Gender & Inclusion teams and Evidence and Learning teams.
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of CPE to execute core strategies, short- and long-term performance benchmarks, program and division level staffing, information and financial needs.
- Support the development of private fundraising offerings and promotion to donors as needed. Collaborate closely with Philanthropy donor reps to ensure optimization of donor facing collateral and tools.
- Lead public and major foundation proposal development for sector in collaboration with field partners, ensuring programmatic integration and consistency with sector strategy
- Contribute to and partner with teams across WVUS to ensure integrated programming alignment occurs between sponsorship, government and private cash portfolios in alignment with partnership priorities.
- Ensure team contributes as needed to planning future multi-year major capital campaigns.
- Ensure team provides required support to WV fundraisers with the insight, training, and resources necessary to ensure that they are able to articulate the strategy and key benefits of WV’s work related to the sector portfolio.
- Participate, as appropriate, in private and public donor facing meetings and conferences.
- Work collaboratively with team members when assigned to work as a member of a team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain awareness of corporate goals, objectives, organizational announcements, and activities. Reference and follow organizational policies and procedures, seeking clarity as needed
You Bring These Skills:
- Proven experience in managing teams
- Strong familiarity with US public donors including USAID, Department of State, and Department of Labor.
- Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed, results-oriented environment at a fast pace with strict deadlines.
- Experience conducting international development research and gathering information from multiple sources including desk and field research. Proven ability to facilitate complex, technical discussions of participants with varied perspectives; facilitate design workshops, able to summarize and to identify action items and next steps. Demonstrated ability to distill large quantities of information into concise, salient points.
- Knowledge of education, child protection, youth workforce development, gender, governance sectors a plus. International program management and/or in-country experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills; able to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve complex solutions. Proven organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks successfully under tight deadlines. Strong interpersonal, communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working on writing technical proposals in international development, with major donors and business development, preferably with USAID.
- Five or more years of experience working on USAID proposal responses as a prime or sub-partner, including participating in capture efforts, writing relevant sections of proposals, and developing proposal budgets
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledgeable of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database applications; demonstrated ability to use Internet as a research tool.
- Willingness and availability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time
- Ability to travel internationally on short notice.
Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in International Development or related field or equivalent work experience (twelve years).
- In addition to education or education equivalent, requires 8-10 years of relevant professional work experience in International Relieve and Development, Program Management, business development or related area.
- Must have strong relational and networking skills, demonstrated ability to supervise teams, and significant experience engaging with donor and fundraisers.
- Requires a minimum of three years of direct staff management experience.
Additional Skills We Are Interested In:
- Keen interest and excitement in International Development, business development, entrepreneurial interests, willingness to learn, ambition to take on positions of increasing responsibility.
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficient in one or more foreign languages (French, Spanish) is preferred.
Where This Job Could Take Your Career:
You'll have an opportunity to mentor and lead a team of Senior and Business Development Managers within our talented international programs group. As a key leader, you’d be poised to move into other key leadership roles like Senior Director or other. You’ll be part of World Vision USA as well as part of the larger World Vision International Partnership. Globally, we have over 40,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries (1000 in WVUS).
About World Vision:
We're a global Christian humanitarian organization. We partner with children, families, and their communities to empower them as they reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. For nearly 70 years, World Vision has followed Jesus' example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. We serve every child regardless of faith.
Salary Range & Benefits:
Your salary is important to you, so it’s important to us. Please share your salary expectations with us in the application process to get the conversation started. We also have a robust and comprehensive benefits package to round out our total compensation package. Click here to learn more.
What happens next?
We review applications nearly every day assessing strength of fit for the role. If questions arise on our end, we will message you to learn more. Short-listed candidates are contacted for an initial phone conversation with our recruiting staff. Moving deeper into our selection process you can expect to interview 1:1 with a hiring manager. Finalists normally participate in a panel interview where the opportunity to connect with additional members of our staff lends itself to more of a 360-view of the role. Our goal is to fill this vacancy with the right person in the shortest amount of time. All interviews will be virtual at this time.