Field Services Graduate Engineer
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Field Services Graduate Engineer - Minneapolis, MN
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Field Services Graduate Engineer to join our team beginning in January of 2022 in our Minneapolis, MN office. This position will be a part of our Power Division. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Travel to various project locations across the country to aid in pile load testing, utility discovery, and inspection work associated with wind and solar projects.
• Participate in pile load testing operations to aid in the design of solar farm foundations. Work closely with subcontractors and office staff to facilitate the required testing parameters for the design of the foundations.
• Coordinate utility location efforts with a subcontractor to discover below grade public and private utilities. Utilize high precision GPS and GIS software to track locations of discovered utilities on an iPad to aid clients in establishing crossing agreements for the construction of wind projects.
• Periodically inspect constructed portions of wind and solar projects to ensure conformance with engineering details, specifications, permits, and the contractor’s quality control plan. Applicable inspections include: civil grading, storm water features, road construction, soil testing, rebar placement, concrete placement, grout placement, cable installation, electrical equipment, substation construction, O&M buildings, transmission structure construction, solar pile and racking installation, pv module installation, etc.
• Perform periodic inspection of procured equipment (wind turbines and electrical equipment) and review inspection documents prepared by Contractor
• Perform drone flights to obtain aerial photos and monitor construction progress. Drone training to be provided.
• Utilize advanced GPS equipment to capture as-built locations on an iPad based data collection platform.
• At the end of construction, compile all Westwood reports and review contractor quality documentation for accuracy and completeness.
• Interpreting pile load test results and preparing technical reports to submit to client for foundation design of solar projects.
• Conducting calculations to aid in design of solar foundations.
• Gathering GPS data from the field associated with below grade utilities and generating summary reports of discovered utilities to send to clients.
• Providing professional and technical support to multiple Westwood projects.
• Perform desktop geotechnical reviews to aid in the contractor’s due diligence process.
• Aid in preparing proposals and cost estimates for various Westwood projects.
• Day-to-day support and support to Project Managers.
• Completed degree in Engineering
• Valid driver’s license with a favorable driving record and compliance with the company’s drug and alcohol policy
• Previous construction or field work experience is preferred
• Positive and professional attitude with the ability to solve complex challenges as they arise.
• An interest and/or passion for energy related infrastructure, in particular wind and solar generation.
• Willingness to work onsite in variable weather conditions for extended duration.
• Willingness and ability to travel up to 90%
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 12701 Whitewater Drive Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN. View the Google Map in full screen.