Electrical Engineering Intern
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Electrical Engineering Intern - Madison, WI
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking an Electrical Engineering Intern to join our team beginning in Summer of 2022 in our Madison, WI office. This position will be a part of our Power Division. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Construction document production support for commercial and utility scale solar, wind, and energy storage projects
• Coordinate with design team disciplines including civil engineers, geotechnical engineers, and surveyors
• Utilize AutoCAD to create construction documents and perform quantity takeoffs. Construction documents will include site layouts, wire/cable routing plans, one lines, details, equipment/wire schedules, etc.
• Create wiring/cable schedules based on takeoffs and sizing input from senior and staff designers/engineers
• Maintain awareness and knowledge of Westwood design/CAD standards
• Learn about electrical engineering for renewable energy projects and this potential career path after graduation while working in a fun and friendly environment
Skills and Qualifications:
• Pursuing a Bachelors Degree, Associates Degree, or Technical School Certificate in Electrical Engineering/Design, Renewable Energy Design with an emphasis on the electrical aspects, or similar related degree
• Proficiency with Microsoft Windows/Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) products
• Professional appearance with excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Must have a strong work ethic along with a positive attitude
• Must be willing to learn and ask questions as needed to facilitate learning
• Must be a supportive team member, able to work in a collaborative environment
• Must be self-motivated with an ability to balance multiple projects under tight deadlines
Preferred Consideration (Not Required):
• Proficiency in AutoCAD or similar computer aided drafting program
• Experience with or exposure to ArcGIS
• Experience with or exposure to ETAP, CYME, Power Factory, or similar software package used to model electrical power systems and perform load flow, short circuit, voltage drop, grounding, thermal, and protective device coordination studies and analysis.
• Experience with or exposure to PVsyst, Helioscope, SAM, or other PV production modeling software
• Experience with or exposure to Helios 3D or SunDAT
• Experience with or exposure to Homer Pro/Grid or similar microgrid analysis software
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 8401 Greenway Blvd Suite 400, Madison, WI. View the Google Map in full screen.