Substation Engineer - P&C
Substation Engineer - P&C - Lansdale, PA
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Substation Engineer - P&C to join our team in Lansdale, PA. The Substation P&C Engineer serves as an engineer on electric substation design projects for high-voltage utility systems and renewable energy interconnection projects. He/she will apply NESC, NEC, and other applicable codes and standards in the engineering design and will also independently produce: one-line diagrams, three-line diagrams, potential and current schematics, control schematics, alarm schematics, protection and control specifications, and I/O mapping. He/she should be familiar with protection scheme functionality. However, the ability to develop relay settings and associated points mapping is not required but preferred. He/she will also work with other internal and external project stakeholders to ensure project milestones and expectations of contracted services are met. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all aspects of design for high voltage (4kV – 230kV) and EHV (above 230kV) substation projects to include:
- Development of
- One-line diagrams
- Three-line diagrams
- Potential and current schematics
- Control schematics
- Alarm schematics
- Communications schematics
- Wiring Diagrams
- Protection and control specifications (Preferred)
- I/O mapping (Preferred)
- Points mapping (Preferred)
- Relay settings (Preferred)
- Documentation for Design Calculations
- Construction Documentation (Sequence and RFP)
- Technical Support
- Active Coordination
- Ability to work seamlessly with a P&C Designer to develop the above-listed schematics as well as the associated wiring diagrams.
- Ability to coordinate efforts with other various external and internal project team members, with familiarity in identifying when coordination is needed with certain design disciplines such as transmission line engineers, distribution line engineers, telecom engineers, etc.
- Other Expectations
- Keenly focused on the production of high-quality work and supports continuous improvement efforts.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects.
- Responsible for assisting with the identification of key client interests and drivers and may determine the key clients in some instances.
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develop approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work.
- Serves as a technical specialist for system protection and communication and has knowledge and skillset to provide consultation and guidance to project teams.
- Remove any impediments that are obstructing the engineering team from achieving its goals.
- Works to advise Management about how to maximize ROI for the team.
- Attending all client technical review meetings.
- Development of
- Requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from a recognized accredited program
- Minimum of 4 years related work experience in the field of high voltage substation design – P&C
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD or Bentley Microstation.
- Strong familiarity with the NEC and National Electrical Safety Code
- Good knowledge of the industry and technology trends specific to substations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Meet minimum qualification
- EIT Certification or able to obtain one within 1 year of hire
- Professional engineering license or ability to obtain one within 2 years of hire.
- Experience in developing relay settings.
- Experience in protection device coordination.
- Proficient in use of ASPEN One Liner, CYME Dist, or similar programs.
- Knowledge of construction practices and constructability
- Experience with proposal writing and project estimating.
- Working knowledge of scheduling and project controls processes.
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 1684 South Broad Street, Suite 120, Lansdale, PA. View the Google Map in full screen.