Substation Designer - Physical
Substation Designer-Physical - Albany, NY
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a collaborative, detail-orientated Substation Designer - Physical (CAD Technician) to join a team in Albany, NY. The Substation Designer - Physical will prepare civil and physical electrical drawings for high voltage utility substations projects and renewable energy interconnections. The position would require the employee to work with engineers and consultants to create these drawings. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Computer-aided design and drafting of all engineering products and deliverables.
- Collaborate with engineers and other drafters to correct discrepancies in drawings and designs.
- Typical drafting is that of plan and profile drawings for
o General Arrangements
o Plan Views and Elevation Views
o Grounding Plans and Details
o Foundation Plans and Details
o Cable Trough/Conduit Plans and Details
o Foundation Layout Plans
o Importation of tables and calculations such as BOMs and creating notes to be applied to each drawing.
o Steel Structure Fabrication Drawings (preferred)
o Concrete Foundation Detail Drawings (preferred)
o Oil Containment Detail Drawings (preferred)
o Metal Grate Platforms Detail Drawings (preferred)
o Fire Wall Detail Drawings (preferred)
- Self-checks all work performed to ensure its accuracy before turning it over to the supervisor or designee assigned to review the work.
- Understand & meet project schedule and quality requirements.
- Complete drawings accurately and efficiently.
- Detailed and quality-oriented.
- Able to handle multiple projects concurrently and maintain flexibility to changes in work assignments as changes occur in projects.
- Actively assist in the delivery of a complete project. This may include phone or e-mail correspondence, attending meetings, and other project documents required for project completion.
- Provide interdepartmental support as required.
- Associate degree in Design & Drafting Technology or related field of study.
- Minimum of 3 yrs. of CAD experience, AutoCAD experience preferred.
- Previous experience drafting civil and physical electrical drawings for high voltage utility substations projects is required.
- Knowledge of transmission and distribution projects in addition to substation projects preferred.
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News-Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
This position is located in Albany, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.