Project Engineer - Roadway Design
PROJECT ENGINEER in ROADWAY DESIGN - Appleton, WI
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
is seeking a Project Engineer to join our Transportation Infrastructure team in Appleton, WI. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
A Project Engineer is expected to work independently or as part of a team providing engineering calculations and various design services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work as a key member of a roadway design team under the direction of various Project Managers. Job duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare detailed construction drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D
• Work with a team in the preparation of plans, specifications, and cost estimates for projects of various sizes and complexity
• Work with a team in the preparation of various roadway design elements using local, WisDOT, and/or AASHTO standards, including horizontal and vertical alignments; plan and profile; utility design and relocation; streetscape and roadway improvements; bicycle and pedestrian facilities; signing, striping, and signalization
• Prepare plan documents and supporting design calculations
• Produce high-quality work and implement and maintain QA/QC procedures
• Oversee the technical aspects of various projects
• Coordinate with other disciplines and support services
• Coordinate with utility service providers throughout the design process to identify and resolve conflicts
• Identifies applicable codes, standards, or other design requirements
• Reviews plans and prepares or reviews technical specifications, contract documents, and estimates
• Performs field reviews and other assessments for use in design
• Participates in contract bidding and administration and provides limited observation during construction
• Represent clients and firms in meetings with governmental agencies
• Prepare, maintain, coordinate schedules of multiple concurrent projects with the design team
• Develop and track milestones to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery
• Make decisions independently in regard to various issues and methods
• Able to accept and give performance feedback
• Supervises the work of less experienced engineers and/or technical support personnel assigned to the project
• Mentor and train designers and engineers
• Short-term construction assignments may be assigned as needed
• Extremely organized
• Demonstrates active listening techniques
• Outgoing, friendly, approachable (team player)
• Strong communication skills with team members and clients
• Proficient in computer software (Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Civil3D, Outlook, Microsoft Project)
• Proficient in the use of national design standards (MUTCD, AASHTO)
• Proficient in applying ADA/PROWAG criteria in public infrastructure design
• Competent technical skills required to complete engineering tasks
• Able to proactively pursue design solutions
• Ability to delegate assignments and determine methods and procedures
• Detail-oriented but also flexible enough to be big picture/conceptual
• Ability to develop relationships with peers, clients, and public agencies
• Able to follow directions and guidelines for the firm’s policies, practices, and procedures
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred or capable of obtaining within 1 year
• Minimum of 4 years of progressive transportation experience as a licensed professional engineer
For Preferred Consideration (Not Required): For higher level PE’s that are looking to move to PM
• Seeking project management or assistant project manager position
• Previous experience developing relationships with public sector clients
• Experience in accounts receivable, invoicing, and overall duties involved in managing a design team
• Strong presentation skills paired with the ability to coach and motivate others
• Previous supervisory experience
• Experience developing proposals and marketing pursuit strategies
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 1 N Systems Drive, Appleton, WI. View the Google Map in full screen.