Wetland Scientist - Rochester, NY
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Wetland Scientist with demonstrated experience in wetland delineations to join our team in our Philadelphia, PA office. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The qualified individual will provide field services and office report preparation to support the planning, design, and approvals of site improvements for power delivery, wind, solar energy projects, and residential and commercial land development projects. Responsibilities will include:
- initial desktop-level research (off-site hydrology/photo review, soils, topography, and wetland mapping)
- routine wetland delineations across the country
- report preparation
- regulatory meetings and federal and state wetland permitting/pre-construction notification processes
- wetland monitoring
The position will involve periodic travel, typically averaging one week per trip on an every-other-month basis, and regional travel averaging several days periodically.
- Degree in environmental science, soil science, biology, botany, or related natural sciences field with 2-5 years of wetland delineation experience.
- Strong plant identification skills.
- Technical proficiency in wetland delineation, and a solid understanding of state and federal wetland regulations, particularly New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania requirements.
- Familiar with US Army Corps of Engineers wetland delineation manual and regional supplements for multiple regions of the US.
- Professional Wetland Scientist and/or Certified Ecologist registration is preferred, or the ability to obtain certification within one year.
- Comfortable working outdoors in remote locations for long periods in hot and cold climatic conditions.
- Experience with GPS equipment and ArcGIS is preferred but not mandatory.
- Must have the ability to travel periodically to project locations across the country.
- Experience in property transfer due diligence including Phase I Environmental Site Assessments is preferred but not mandatory.
- Experience with habitat assessments, USFWS iPAC research, and related threatened and endangered species studies is preferred but not mandatory.
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 75 Thruway Park Drive, Offices 117-121, Rochester, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.