Drainage/Flood Control Engineer
WATER RESOURCES ENGINEER or PROJECT MANAGER - PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc., a leading national land and energy development consultant, is seeking a Water Resources Engineer in our Phoenix, Arizona office. This position will provide project-level hydrologic and hydraulic modeling and design on a variety of projects in Arizona and throughout the United States. This is an opportunity to join a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals. Westwood is dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Westwood is looking for a driven, self-starter with good communication skills for their Water Resources team. This individual will be pairing their water resources civil engineering technical skills with their project management experience to coordinate, plan, organize, and execute projects within their team.
The qualified individual will manage and complete the water resources components of commercial, residential, and renewable energy development projects. These tasks include, but are not limited to; FEMA studies, stormwater permitting, hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, and designing infrastructure.
The candidate should possess a BS or MS degree in civil engineering or related discipline with 7+ years of experience with a strong resume in surface water hydrology. PE and CFM preferred but not required. Additionally, the ideal candidate would be a self-starter, open to learning, adaptable to change, and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities. Previous work experience including an intimate knowledge of hydraulic modeling software programs (for example: HydroCAD, HEC-1, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, Flo-2D, etc) is required. Experience using CAD and/or GIS software (AutoCAD Civil 3D and ESRI ArcGIS) is considered essential for this position. The candidate should possess strong communication skills, problem-solving, and organization skills along with the ability to write technical proposals, reports, and publications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in the management of projects from inception through completion
• Provide direction and manage work quality of a team of engineering designers, interns, and technicians
• Assist in the preparing and managing proposals, contracts, invoicing, work in process and account receivables
• Represent clients and firm in meetings with governmental agencies
• Prepare, maintain, coordinate project schedules of multiple concurrent projects with clients and design team
• Communicate directly with clients and public governing agencies
• Recruit, manage, develop, lead, inspire and coach design team
• Develop drainage and flood control concepts and details
• Prepare hydrologic and hydraulic models
• Prepare plan documents and supporting design calculations
• Prepare Conceptual Drainage Reports as well as Drainage Design Reports
• Produce high-quality work and implement and maintain QA/QC procedures
• Able to understand proposals and contract scope of services
• Coordinate with other disciplines and support services
• Make decisions independently in regards to various issues and methods
• Able to accept and give performance feedback
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Arizona (or capable of obtaining)
• Proficient with hydrologic and hydraulic software, including HEC-1/HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS
• Strong technical writing skills
• Working knowledge of AutoCAD
• Outgoing, friendly, approachable (team player)
• Previous leadership experience or someone ready for a step up
• Strong communication skills with team members and clients
• Proficient in computer software (Word, Excel, AutoCAD, Civil3D, Outlook, Microsoft Project)
• Competent technical skills required to complete engineering tasks
• Ability to delegate assignments and determine methods and procedures
• Self-motivated with the ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines without supervision
• Detail-oriented but also flexible enough to be big picture/conceptual
• Capable of envisioning the client’s goals
• Minimum of 2 years of experience as a project engineer
• Good reputation amongst peers, clients, and agencies
• Able to follow general directions and guidelines for the firm’s policies, practices, and procedures
For Preferred Consideration (Not Required):
• Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM)
• Two-dimensional modeling experience, preferably in HEC-RAS 2D or FLO-2D
• Strong presentation skills paired with the ability to coach and motivate others
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group’s Hot Firm’s List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is located at 6909 East Greenway Parkway Suite 250, Phoenix, AZ. View the Google Map in full screen.