Assistant Food & Beverage Manager
Food and Beverage
Oversees the bar operations and team members on an assigned shift. Manages and coordinates the activities of team members; establishes, implements, communicates, and ensures the achievement of operational goals and objectives, marketing strategies, and budgets; ensures compliance with policies and procedures; and monitors forecasts, budgets, costs, and operating results. Provides effective leadership within the department and addresses team member issues.
Viejas Casino and Resort is a proud recipient of the AAA Four Diamond award. The resort features world class gaming with 2,500 slot machines, exciting table games, bingo and off-track betting. Our multiple hotel towers have more than 230 luxury rooms and 190 VIP suites. Viejas Casino and Resort also features a variety of restaurants including the AAA Four Diamond Grove Steakhouse, Baron Long Bar & Grill, Ginger Noodle Bar, the Café, and the Daily Roast. The Viejas Outlet Center features not only shopping but also a Bowling Alley, Arcade, and Southern California’s largest outdoor roller rink.
Viejas recognizes that its team members and their diversity are vital to our success and invite you to join our team.
Viejas offers its team members:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Medical and Dependent Flexible Spending Accounts
- Accident, Critical Illness, and Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Career Advancement Opportunities and
- Tuition Reimbursement
CORE SCOPE OF POSITION
- Provides hands on training of staff on the expectations and responsibilities of their positions.
- Provides leadership coaching and development for Bar team members.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the operations of all the bars on the assigned shifts, ensuring that all guests receive timely, friendly and courteous service.
- Evaluates and monitors cash and casino floor service to ensure optimum performance and continual improvement in five key areas: guest service, management/team development, sales/marketing, property and staff appearance, and expense/financial control.
- Steps in and assist with front-line duties when necessary.
- Maintains adequate scheduling of staff to meet and/or exceed departmental and company service requirements based on business levels.
- Actively engages in recruitment, selection, and retention of staff.
- Participates in workforce planning efforts.
- Implements and monitors consistent and direct performance measurements, feedback and staff training and development to ensure optimum performance.
- Implements and monitors department policies and procedures for identifying workforce hazards and assessing risks.
- Encourages team members to contribute ideas to support the organization’s mission.
- Develops systematic approaches for checking and reviewing the work of staff.
- Establishes processes and procedures to ensure consistency; evaluates and review staff’s work for accuracy and completeness.
- Holds staff accountable to comply with standard operating procedures and regulations.
- Sets clear expectations; provides clear assignments and deadlines, and follows up to ensure assignments are completed.
- Provides and receives timely feedback on performance against stated goals.
- Listens attentively and provides full attention and necessary time for discussion.
- Provides frequent and ongoing communication with team members and supervisors.
- Communicates and holds team members accountable for confidentiality and security policies and guidelines.
- Promotes teamwork among all levels of staff within and outside of the department.
- Builds and directs a well-respected, competent, responsive guest-focused service department.
- Ensures team members have a safe working environment and proactively addresses any unsafe conditions.
- Plan, organize and monitor the set-up, service and breakdown of all banquet bar functions, assisting with consumption reports and bar checks
- Provides input into, and executes the development, implementation, and measurement of guest service standards consistent with the service goals of the department and organization.
- Develops, implements, and communicates departmental procedures. Evaluates and requests modifications to existing policies and procedures in order to ensure accurate audit trails and optimum productivity,
- Communicates in written form utilizing proper spelling, grammar and punctuation to present a clear and professional message in all communications.
- Conducts pass down of relevant and critical information to relief team member before going on breaks or at the end of shift.
- Holds regular open discussions, encourages questions, and works toward conflict resolutions of anticipated or existing conflicts.
- Recognizes and defines conflict in order to finalize agreement and course of action.
- Quickly and effectively deals with inappropriate behavior or individual issues affecting the team.
- Maintain complete knowledge of: all liquor brands, beers and non-alcoholic selections available in outlets, the particular characteristics and description of every wine/champagne by the glass and major wines on the wine list, designated glassware and garnishes for drinks, all bar menu items, preparation method/time, ingredients, sauces, portion sizes, garnishes, presentation and prices.
- Maintain complete knowledge of bar outlet layouts, table/seat/station numbers, proper table set-ups, room capacity, hours of operation, price range and dress code.
- Maintain complete knowledge and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Establish par levels for supplies, liquor, beer, wine and equipment, completing requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for the anticipated business.
- Ensure that transfer slips and spill sheets are filled out and distributed in accordance with departmental standards.
- Ensure that each liquor bottle ordered is backed up by an exchange of an empty bottle of same liquor.
- Inspect quality and amounts of garnishes, ensuring agreement to departmental standards.
- Inspect bar set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement to departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Ensures the safekeeping of gaming revenues, Casino funds, and company assets. Keeps the department head informed on all pertinent information related to the department, and reports irregularities and problems as they occur, along with recommendations for solutions.
- Review sales and beverage costs for previous day.
- May have budget responsibilities.
- Manages, organizes, and completes assigned projects with attention to detail within the established deadline.
- Prepares and distributes reports as directed by management to various departments.
- Efficiently and effectively performs the administrative functions of the position.
- Completes all required and necessary documentation with complete and accurate information in a timely manner.
- Reads and responds to emails on a daily basis.
- Ensures office and other supplies are available.
- Attends all required training and meetings
- Ensures compliance with all departmental policies and procedures, gaming commission regulations, and Title 31 regulations and training requirements.
- Perform all duties as deemed necessary for the success of the department.
- Is a role model of the Viejas’s service culture.
- Leads by example and creates strong morale and engagement in his/her team.
- Communicates company and departmental goals and fosters open communication across the department.
- Fosters a culture of accountability, providing regular feedback to team members, including celebrating successes and addressing areas needing improvement.
- Manages conflict effectively; listens and assesses situations; takes action to resolve.
- Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, guests, and/ or functional peer managers, normally involving matters between functional areas, other divisions or units, or customers and the company.
- Often must lead a cooperative effort among members of a project team.
- Provides team members with schedules; work assignments; directions; accountability for results (follow-up); rewards and disciplinary actions; information; performance review; addresses complaints; and resolves problems.
- Responsible for interviews, hires, and trains new team members.
This position is located at 5000 Willows Rd, Alpine, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.