Associate Sous Chef
Food and Beverage
Associate Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Sous Chef with the day-to-day operations of culinary team members engaged in preparing and cooking foods in the various kitchens. Associate Sous Chef will ensure that food is presented in an appealing and appetizing manner.
PAY RATE: $24.50
CORE SCOPE OF POSITION
- Assists the Sous with the day-to-day the operations of the culinary team engaged in preparing and cooking foods in various kitchens; ensures efficient and profitable food service.
- Monitors team members’ performance and identifies areas of improvements.
- Monitors schedules and staffing throughout the shift to ensure proper coverage at all times.
- Observes, trains, coaches, and documents team member’s guest service and technical performance.
- Responsible for ensuring that team member training programs meet department standards, includes follow-up and follow-through.
- Analyzes kitchen labor/productivity ratios and establishes strategies for improvement.
- Understands and articulates advanced food knowledge to include explanation of ingredients, preparation and cooking methods.
- As an expert, makes recipe conversions and makes complex adjustments to increase/decrease output of recipe to fit need.
- Works productively within stated timeframes with no direction; makes needed changes to accommodate fluxing business levels or to resolve problems.
- Regularly tastes food and identifies issues before food is served; makes seasoning adjustments as needed to maintain top quality and avoid waste.
- Understands and follows the HAACCP procedures. Trains and ensures compliance of the Cook I, Cook II, and Cook III positions.
- Adheres to all hygiene and safety standards for culinary operations by washing hands after using the restroom and after each culinary function is performed and before beginning a new task.
- Follows guidelines for glove use and changes gloves as required between tasks.
- Addresses any sanitation or food safety concerns.
- Understands and takes steps to avoid cross contamination for entire venue.
- Performs temperature checks per policy and understands the danger zones related to FAT TOM - food, acidity, time temperature, oxidation and moisture; addresses issues effectively to include contacting of appropriate internal or external support to correct problem, as needed.
- Works and takes action to minimize waste.
- Exhibits advanced working knowledge and culinary skills.
- Provides training to Cook I, Cook II, and Cook III positions on all areas of their responsibility.
- Oversees the production and quality of items prepared daily and provides the team with direction as required to complete preparation.
- Assumes management role in the in the absence of the Sous Chef and addresses issues that arise needing an immediate decision or direction.
- Ensures that par levels are correct and that stock is maintained at appropriate levels.
- Completes all duties in an accurate, efficient and timely manner; identifies and proactively performs and/or delegates additional tasks needing completion.
- Works most stations and equipment with a good degree of confidence to include the grill, broiler, sauté, smoker, rotisserie, oven, fryer, flat top, panini press, and hot box. Trains and ensures compliance of the cook positions.
- Safely operates equipment in compliance with the manufacture's requirements and properly maintain preparation equipment to include slicer, dicer, mandolin, mixer, juicer, Burre mixer and chopper.
- Exhibits advanced knife handling skills and proper techniques with accurate consistent cuts with increased speed.
- Regularly provides suggestions for improvements and/or changes to enhance the items offered.
- Follows complex recipes quickly and accurately with no direction. Trains and Ensures the overall quality and consistency of recipes and presentation, including follow-up and follow through.
- When interacting with guests, addresses all but the most sensitive or difficult guest issues without management intervention.
- Works together with other F&B staff to ensure a good experience for our guests; creates an environment where team members seek this level out for advice and assistance.
- Maintains a professional image with all team members, including communicating in a professional, respectful, polite, and hospitable manner.
- Keeps the management informed on all pertinent information that may affect the department, and reports issues and problems as they arise, along with recommendations for solutions.
- Ensures raw food specifications meet standards.
- Ensures all health regulations are maintained to prevent food borne illnesses.
- Ensures compliance with and enforces HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) and hygiene standards, including cleanliness and sanitation of work area; food areas clean and presentable; and temperature
- Analyzes food costs and, if necessary, establishes strategies for reducing food costs.
- Assists with the implementation and follow through of new menus, menu changes, and/or promotions.
- Controls costs by utilizing menu engineering to eliminate food surpluses and leftovers.
- Analyzes other cost control areas and establishes strategies for reducing and controlling costs (i.e., inventory, par levels, and energy conservation).
- Assists in developing, preparing, and reviewing departmental administrative procedures, including schedules, performance appraisals and other related administrative duties.
- Organizes and holds frequent meetings to ensure team members are up to date on all special events, promotions, programs, and activities.
- Communicates in a courteous and professional manner with guests and co-workers; proactively draws out and solicits feedback when needed from other team members.
- Performs all related and compatible duties as assigned.
FOUR STAR & FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE COMMITMENT
All Team Members will display a Forbes Travel Guide Four Star and AAA Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Viejas Casino & Resort.
- Interacts with internal and external guests.
- Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors and functional peer groups. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain corporation of others, conducting presentations of technical information concerning specific projects or schedules.
- Provides direct supervision to skilled support individuals.
- Acts as adviser to unit or sub-units and may become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge of cost control methods, including purchasing, menu planning and menu costing.
- Knowledge of computers, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of Lawson System preferred.
- Ability to listen, multitask, and manage time.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high stress work environment.
- Must be dependable, timely and have high attention to detail.
- Must be flexible to work different shifts, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Requires high school diploma or GED.
- Associate’s degree preferred.
- Serv-Saf Card required.
- Food Handler’s Card required.
- 1 to 2 or more years of related experience and/or training or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience required.
This position is located at 5000 Willows Rd, Alpine, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.