If you are looking for an impactful career opportunity with a growing global company who wants to challenge the conventional for a sustainable future —look no further. Verso has merged with BillerudKorsnäs to become Billerud NA, a leading sustainable packaging materials and paper company. Billerud is passionately committed to sustainability. You can feel good about the products we make because paper is sustainable at multiple levels. Paper is made from trees, one of earth’s renewable resources harvested from sustainably managed forests, and it is highly recyclable and recycled.
At Billerud, you can reach your full potential—and help us reach ours. Come build a better future with us!
The Sustainability Manager is a critical part of the integration and development of Billerud’s commitment to sustainability in North America. The corporate sustainability strategy is highly focused not only on climate and circular economy, but also includes a responsible supply chain, diversity and safety. As the Sustainability Manager, your focus will be on researching and analyzing sustainability data by collaborating with global leaders from multiple functional areas of the business to obtain information on key company initiatives. In addition, you will foster strong relationships with customers to understand how Billerud’s innovation can create solutions to challenge conventional packaging for a sustainable future. In this forward thinking role, you will work within all aspects of sustainability (environment, social and economic) with responsibility to implement the corporate sustainability strategy in North America.
- Promote and lead a safe work environment.
- Assure environmental, health and safety compliance with the objective of achieving zero incidents.
- Drive continuous improvement in and integration of the Sustainability platform across Billerud NA.
- Drive and coordinate the corporate sustainability work and sustainability reporting in Billerud NA.
- Contribute to the production of the BillerudKorsnӓs Annual- and Sustainability Report.
- Contribute in the reporting to external sustainability indices such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and CDP.
- Lead all customer facing sustainability tools and coordinate all testing to support.
- Promote and explain Billerud’s NA sustainability philosophy to internal and external audiences.
- Serve as the key contact for all stakeholder sustainability questions and inquiries (customers, investors, etc).
- Lead research and analysis used to develop corporate sustainability strategies.
- Work with and support the Billerud NA Leadership Team, the Environmental, Health and Safety Teams, and Operational Teams at the Escanaba Quinnesec and Wisconsin Rapids facilities.
- Work with BillerudKorsnäs’ corporate sustainability team
- Evaluate the company’s and other stakeholders’ needs for information regarding sustainability
- Lead internal and external sustainability communication
- Assist in monitoring legislative issues and public affairs
- Foster and encourage teamwork relationships between the mills
Minimum Required Skills:
- Possess a strong interest in sustainability topics, such as climate and circular economy
- Strong analytical skills with a structure approach to problem solving
- Adept at taking initiative and driving results
- Strong internal drive to work independently, but also enjoys working on a team
- Goal oriented
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel
- An ability to lead through influence
- Good communications skills, both written and oral
- Knowledge of Sustainability Systems
- Experience with system implementation
Minimum Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in pulp and paper science, engineering, environmental sciences, sustainability or related field
- Preferably 5 – 10 years of experience within sustainability or the pulp and paper manufacturing industry
- A passion to be a changemaker in the area of sustainability by challenging conventional products and processes and ability to work towards a circular and climate neutral economy.
- Thrive in public settings through contact with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Travel between the manufacturing facilities and NA Corporate office will be done on a regular basis and international travel to Sweden might occur.
Billerud NA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.