If you are looking for an impactful career opportunity with a growing global company who wants to challenge conventional energy use and drive improvements in our energy efficiency —look no further. Verso has merged with BillerudKorsnӓs to become Billerud NA, a leading sustainable packaging materials and paper company. Billerud is passionately committed to safety, sustainability and our environment. You can feel good about the products we make because paper is sustainable at multiple levels. Paper is made from trees, one of earth’s most renewable resources harvested from sustainably managed forests, and it is highly recyclable and recycled.
At Billerud, you can reach your full potential—and help us reach ours. Come build a better future with us!
The Energy Manager provides critical direction and oversight of Billerud NA’s renewable energy generation programs, purchased energy strategy, energy use optimization, regulatory reporting, and industry relationships. The corporate energy philosophy is highly focused not only on renewable energy generation, but also includes a responsibility to design and optimize energy programs that increase efficiency and reduce energy related costs. In addition, you will foster strong relationships with global colleagues to support the requirements for Billerud’s sustainable energy platform to create solutions to challenge conventional packaging for a sustainable future. In this forward thinking role, you will work within all aspects of energy generation, procurement, and use with responsibility to implement corporate energy initiatives in North America.
- Promote and lead a safe work environment.
- Assure environmental, health and safety compliance with the objective of achieving zero incidents.
- Drive continuous improvement in the energy platform (both renewable and purchased energy) across Billerud NA.
- Drive and coordinate the energy budgeting and forecast work with our energy advisors.
- Lead our Renewable Energy Credit sales and procurement activities
- Support manufacturing locations with natural gas, electricity, and other energy supply contracts.
- Coordinate energy emergency response plans and drive decisions regarding curtailments / shortages.
- Develop risk mitigation strategies integrated into the procurement of natural gas and electricity.
- Provide energy use and benchmarking data as needed to support the BillerudKorsnӓs Annual and Sustainability Reports.
- Support renewable energy procurement and generation strategies in support of the Billerud NA Sustainability platform.
- Active involvement in utility rate cases and other regulatory filings.
- Lead research and analysis used to develop corporate sustainability strategies.
- Work with and support the Billerud NA Leadership Team, the Environmental, Health and Safety Teams, and Operational Teams at the Escanaba, Quinnesec and Wisconsin Rapids facilities (including CWPCo).
- Develop strategies to improve and promote Billerud NA’s energy and sustainability footprint including involvement in industry associations, certifications, and public partnerships.
- Work with industry associations and others to monitor and actively engage in legislative issues impacting Billerud NA’s energy and sustainability activities.
- Foster and encourage teamwork relationships between the mills.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Possess a strong interest in renewable energy generation, purchased energy programs and regulatory reporting
- Strong analytical skills with a structured approach to problem solving
- Adept at taking initiative and driving results
- Strong internal drive to work independently, but also enjoys working on a team
- Goal oriented
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel
- An ability to lead through influence
- Good communications skills, both written and oral
- Experience with contract management with regulated and unregulated energy suppliers
- Experience with energy efficiency improvements
- Experience with system implementation
Minimum Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in pulp and paper science, engineering, environmental sciences, sustainability or related field
- Preferably 5 – 7+ years of experience within the energy sector or the pulp and paper manufacturing industry
- A passion to be a changemaker in the area of renewable energy by challenging conventional processes and driving continuous improvement.
- Travel between the manufacturing facilities and NA Corporate office will be done on a regular basis and international travel to Sweden might occur.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local employment laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, and any other protected classifications. This policy applies to all employment decisions including, but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, discipline and terminations.
We participate in E-Verify.